Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is legal for a contractor (or anyone for that matter) to enter your apartment without informing you in advance if you are a tenant?

I came home today to find that my rental agency's electrician had come in and done some work and never advised me in advance. In Italy and the US they need to give advance notice.

I sent a message to the agency and my landlord asking that they do so in the future.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's not legal: the agency is obliged to inform their tenant of the nature of maintenance and the manner it will be carried out
by personally handing him a notice or by registered mail.

"Droit de visite et travaux à l'initiative du bailleur"
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1874

Le locataire doit laisser exécuter dans son logement certains travaux décidés par le propriétaire, notamment :

des réparations urgentes,
des travaux d'amélioration nécessaires dans les parties communes ou privatives de l'immeuble,

des travaux nécessaires au maintien en état et à l'entretien normal du logement,
des travaux de performance énergétique,
travaux qui permettent de remplir les critères d'un logement décent.

Avant le début des travaux, le bailleur informe le locataire de la nature des travaux et des modalités de leur exécution par une notification. Il lui remet :

en main propre,
ou par lettre recommandée avec demande d'avis de réception.

Pour la préparation et la réalisation de ces travaux, le locataire doit permettre l'accès à son logement :

tous les jours sauf les samedis, dimanche et jours fériés (à moins qu'il ne donne son accord),
moyennant réduction de loyer si les travaux durent plus de 21 jours.

Si les travaux :

présentent un caractère abusif,
ou ne respectent pas les conditions définies dans la notification de travaux,
ou rendent l'utilisation du logement impossible ou dangereuse,

le tribunal d'instance peut, sur demande du locataire, demander l'interdiction ou l'interruption des travaux entrepris. Le locataire peut également solliciter la résiliation du bail si les travaux rendent le logement inhabitable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the agency denies having come into the apartment. I believe it was the owner. Does the owner have a right to enter without notice?
I basically sent them all a note asking that they kindly inform me in advance if they plan to enter the apartment.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Well the agency denies having come into the apartment. I believe it was the owner. Does the owner have a right to enter without notice?
I basically sent them all a note asking that they kindly inform me in advance if they plan to enter the apartment.
You should only be dealing with the Agency. Forget the landlord.

If the agency denies all knowledge then threaten to go to the police because in effect your flat has been broken into. See if that wakes them up !!!

To be fair, I would go to the police anyway to create a paper trail. You may need that.

They could have installed hidden CCTV cameras, drugs, money or whatever. Or they might have stolen something.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah but in this case I do believe it was the landlord. My oven had an electrical fire several weeks ago and the landlord was skeptical it was the oven. I realized someone had been there because the oven had been removed. I just learned there was an apartment owner meeting...so it would point to the landlord who would be responsible for replacing the oven. I don?t think he would do any of the above (he?s 75 or so) but I agree with you, really shouldn?t happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts