Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

legal info on minimum requirements when renting an unfurnished apt in France

940 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Karen in France 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have just relocated to France and we are going back and forth with an Agency on what are the minimum requirements of renting an unfurnished apartment . IS there some referral/official page where we can find this information? a legal code? For example the agency had said that if the rooms from the apartment didn't come with locks it is not required from their side to put any lock there? Or its not required that the apartment has an oven just a stove/kitchen. And if there were no lights on the balcony they are not obliged to put any..? Could you help us with some useful/legal info? Or if there is still work that needs to be done by electricians,etc , how long after the lease is signed should it be completed? Thanks very much. We might even consider hiring a lawyer since we are getting increasingly disappointed...

#2 ·
This is probably the best "easy" source for the legal side of things: Location immobilière : obligations du bailleur - Service-public.fr You want to look at the three files in the list on the left under Obligations du bailleur d'un logement vide

Just skimming over the requirements, I see that it's only necessary to provide >>un coin cuisine aménagé de manière à recevoir un appareil de cuisson<< which, I suppose, harkens back to the days when you were expected to provide all the kitchen appliances yourself. As far as I know, there are still apartments out there where that is the case.

In any event, at the bottom of the pages there are links to how to pursue matters if your flat falls short.
Cheers,
Bev

#3 ·
No locks are required on internal doors. It is not necessary to provide an oven (or a stove, or in fact anything other than a kitchen sink). The landlord is not required to install lights on the balcony (in fact, you will find many balconies are pretty much too small to warrant it and it is generally expected that lights from inside will provide sufficient balcony lighting). As far as outstanding work goes, see the link provided by Bev. Have you already signed the lease? If not, perhaps you should look for something else that better meets your expectations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.