Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new to the site and would liek some help and or advise.

My father owns a house outright in normande which we go to every couple of moths to renovate. he also has a french bank account.

However my dad died suddenly and unexpectedly in october. although my dad wanted the house to stay in the family or go to my mum who is still with us there is no will and nothing in written about the house in france and we are now unsure of how to process or who to inform.

my mum wants to keep the house untill she knows what to do with it. but who do we inform if anyone and what do we need to do?

any advise would be much appreciated.

many thanks

victoria

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
French succession law is very specific and very rigid, you actually don't have much choice over what happens to your estate when you die, so making a will wouldn't have made much difference. The house will stay in the family. Whether it goes to your mum first, or whether the children inherit in equal shares, depends on specific things such as were your mum and dad married, was the house bought in both their names or just your dad's, what clauses were put into the purchase contract, does he have any children from previous relationships, etc.

Best advice is to contact the notaire who handled the house purchase. He will explain who inherits the house, whether or not any succession tax is payable, and he'll sort out all the administrative side of things.

Hope this helps.

Look after your mum.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
EuroT is correct and gives good advice. See the notaire and discuss options. There are all sorts of options such as "usefruitier" etc which are not common in the UK, but quite usual here. The law on inheritance in France is both complex and changing, my only advice is to go a notaire and take their advice.

DejW

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi,
It's worth pointing out that however the house was bought , your mother will , with the notaire's advice, retain the use of the house for her lifetime, and the children will fully inherit at her succession , and all this with little or no inheritance tax.

·
Administrator
50,381 Posts
Summary of the advice so far: Get thee to a notaire and open a "succession" for your father. The notaire will advise what goes where, but here in France, most of this is pretty much on rails. There are a few little details - like you may need to open a bank account for the "succession" (basically the estate). But unless your father had large and/or complicated investments, it should all be settled fairly easily.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.