Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we havnt started process yet but was wondering if anyone could give some advice before we do. I have 3 children of my own but also took care of my niece 10 years ago after my sis died ( by social services say she was not to see her dad and he hasnt bothered for 10 yrs). We have a residence order for her but not an adoption order. Does anyone know where we would stand. We will have to seek proffesional advice but would appreciate any advice on here.Thank you:confused2:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You need to speak to a solicitor to get proper legal advice for this case.

From an Immi standpoint:
1. You need to be the legal guardian if parents are deceased
2. You must have permission from any living parents if parents are not deceased

If you expect difficulty on either point then I expect court proceedings will be needed.

A solicitor should be your first stop for clear guardianship of the child before any Immigration considerations come into play.

Hi we havnt started process yet but was wondering if anyone could give some advice before we do. I have 3 children of my own but also took care of my niece 10 years ago after my sis died ( by social services say she was not to see her dad and he hasnt bothered for 10 yrs). We have a residence order for her but not an adoption order. Does anyone know where we would stand. We will have to seek proffesional advice but would appreciate any advice on here.Thank you:confused2:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Agree with amaslam, you'll need to get guardianship sorted out via a solicitor first before you can think about anything else.

I really hope it all works out for you..........

Dolly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts