Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to know if many expats on this worked here, left for whatever reason (emigrated, had enough, lost job etc etc) and came back.

Perhaps the grass is not always greener, and you missed the UAE after returning home or emigrating.

Please share your stories

·
Registered
180 Posts
I left the UAE to return back to Canada. The opportunities in the Canadian oil sands are tremendous, much better for me then in the UAE. Although I have no plans on returning back to the UAE to live, I do miss the place. I also actively encourage others to take up the opportunity to visit if they get a chance. I also hope they get the Expo 2020.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another comment often heard is that, "It's never quite the same. the second time around"

2 camps in this argument:

a. those you left due to kids schooling, emigration, or "made enough", missed the lifestyle and came back. But disappointed because the excitement factor is gone, old friends have left, etc etc

b. those who have set themselves up nicely at home, and are back to enjoy their pre retirement years on a good wicket spending all they earn travelling and generally living it up.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I was working here in 1991 but was transferred to Yemen, then accepted a job in Asia. Worked for many years back in the US with the goal always in the back of my mind to becoming an expat once again when I was done raising my child (for the most part, it never really ends does it!).

I consider myself fortunate the job as an expat that I eventually landed was in the UAE, I would probably prefer Thailand, Singapore or Hong Kong but Dubai aint bad :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was working here in 1991 but was transferred to Yemen, then accepted a job in Asia. Worked for many years back in the US with the goal always in the back of my mind to becoming an expat once again when I was done raising my child (for the most part, it never really ends does it!).

I consider myself fortunate the job as an expat that I eventually landed was in the UAE, I would probably prefer Thailand, Singapore or Hong Kong but Dubai aint bad :D
exactly when we're about to do.

just waiting on documents to come through, although the communication has been so unprofessional , i'm beginning to give up hope.

yes - Singers, HK , Thailand or Malaysia are fantastic. Vietnams not bad either.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Been overseas for 18+ years...

- Few other places before for 9 years, then...
- Moved in Abu Dhabi for 5+ years...
- Moved to Egypt for 3 years (job opportunity) before the revolution
- Moved back to Dubai 3 years ago.

After 5+ years in AD, we were used to the mentality but tired of negative side of living in UAE as well... so were looking for a change.

But OMG :eek:, the first day landed in Cairo, we wanted to move back immediately... :rolleyes: but man'ed up and stayed for 3 years, lived in "Truman Show" bubble. Left months before the revolution...

Since moved back to Dubai, it has been amazing. We don't take things for granted like first time around, doing / seeing a lot more than we used to. The negative is spending more $, but family is a lot more happy.

If we are to remain in MEA, only 2 other locations we would consider is Oman or Abu Dhabi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts