Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Visa (462) which will overlap with a (572) once I get closer to my commencement date.

I just had some general questions from folks who have moved from the US to Australia. I read over the facts but most of the services and advice seemed more directed at folks coming from the UK/Europe.

What shipping services did you have a good experience with.
What was it like filing your taxes from Australia, and were you able to cash your refund check without much trouble?

When I close my US account, will I be able to open up an account in Australia online? How did you go about transferring your funds without having to carry large amounts of cash on your person?

Also, has anyone had any trouble with customs while shipping their personal affects?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Cyric:

For shipping you can consider Allied Pickfords or DHL. Depends on how much you're shipping.

Filing taxes is straightforward. Read publication 56 at the IRS website to get an idea of additional forms you have to file (mainly 8555). Also you can have H&R Block USA do it. Once it's done they'll mail it to you for signature and then you mail it back.

I've never received a check from the IRS, I kept my US account active and did a direct deposit to it if receiving a refund. Then if I needed the money in AU I did a money transfer from my US account to my AU account (wire transfer).

Having a US credit card and US bank account is useful (you could change the mailing address to your family (i.e. parents)) as it makes shopping online easier when buying things in the US (and you will almost certainly be doing that).

Never had an issue with customs, just if it's new they might charge duty and also if it's things like movies they might check to see theres nothing restricted that would breach community standards.

I just got my Visa (462) which will overlap with a (572) once I get closer to my commencement date.

I just had some general questions from folks who have moved from the US to Australia. I read over the facts but most of the services and advice seemed more directed at folks coming from the UK/Europe.

What shipping services did you have a good experience with.
What was it like filing your taxes from Australia, and were you able to cash your refund check without much trouble?

When I close my US account, will I be able to open up an account in Australia online? How did you go about transferring your funds without having to carry large amounts of cash on your person?

Also, has anyone had any trouble with customs while shipping their personal affects?

·
Registered
48 Posts
my experience

Hello, Congratulations.You will hear from much more experienced people on this site as did I, but here are my two cents...

I was in Los Angeles moving to Melbourne --I did my research and went with: Southern Winds International

While the process of shipping took longer than I'd have liked --my stuff arrived over a month after I got to Australia, otherwise the process was relatively smooth and the people very helpful. I'd recommend them. There was no damage and everything got here okay. And no no customs problems. I was particularly careful and got rid of most stuff--I was worried about a couple of wood sculptures and boxes we had...but they came over fine.

For taxes I worked with my accountant in the U.S. and didn't get a refund. Cashing can be an interesting experience depending on conversion rates and fees. But you get used to that. Over the year I've been here it has gone from $1 - $1 to under 60 cents now as you likely know it's creeping up past 90 cents. I went with Westpac since they had a relationship with Bank of America - I transferred money when I got here from my open checking account in the U.S.-- you need the SWIFT code from your bank for the transfer..

Don't cancel your bank account...I got that tip from Dolly or Karen I think. Anyway, it is critical. I can't tell you how much easier it makes things. Invariably there is unfinished business when you leave, and when I want to send a check to a family member it is so much easier. I also kept my U.S. credit card and paying that and my student loans is no problem.

You will get gold on this site...I read it all. I recommend you do the same. Safe Travels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Cyric:

For shipping you can consider Allied Pickfords or DHL. Depends on how much you're shipping.

Filing taxes is straightforward. Read publication 56 at the IRS website to get an idea of additional forms you have to file (mainly 8555). Also you can have H&R Block USA do it. Once it's done they'll mail it to you for signature and then you mail it back.

I've never received a check from the IRS, I kept my US account active and did a direct deposit to it if receiving a refund. Then if I needed the money in AU I did a money transfer from my US account to my AU account (wire transfer).

Having a US credit card and US bank account is useful (you could change the mailing address to your family (i.e. parents)) as it makes shopping online easier when buying things in the US (and you will almost certainly be doing that).

Never had an issue with customs, just if it's new they might charge duty and also if it's things like movies they might check to see theres nothing restricted that would breach community standards.
Hi amaslam,

I heard this for couple of times from you that buying online in USA for you in Ausi. How do you manage it? Does US online shopping sites ship to Ausi? or someone does that for you? Kindly let me know I am really intrested in buying all Electronics online.

thanks for your help !

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

Usually I have them shipped to one my family's homes and if it's urgent they'll mail it to me or I'll pick it all up when I visit the US (so I do my buying near the time of my trip). Some electronics are fine (MP3 players, etc.) but big stuff you have to do a cost comparison to see if shipping + cost of item + no warranty in AU + possible need for a voltage converter + it could possibly break during shipping is worth it.

You do both depending on what costs less. You'll do most of that type of buying the first 2 yrs here. Then you should have pretty much most of the electronic type stuff you need. After that you'll get the occaisonal DVD or Book shipped down.

Hi amaslam,

I heard this for couple of times from you that buying online in USA for you in Ausi. How do you manage it? Does US online shopping sites ship to Ausi? or someone does that for you? Kindly let me know I am really intrested in buying all Electronics online.

thanks for your help !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi amaslam,

thanks for your help !
hey, i had the same issue trying to buy video games from the U.S. You should use an international shipping company, I used Shipito. they ship for very cheap to anywhere in the world. Hope I helped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts