Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Firstly, this is a great forum and has provided lots of really good advice/feedback thus far - hoping this continues.

My girlfriend and i are moving out to Dubai in 3 weeks, she has accepted a role in media and i am awaiting final package confirmation for another role also in media.

Can anyone direct us to a good existing thread or advise us on what documents/photocopies etc we should bring with us when we come over?

We bother have our education certs attested and legalized but wondered what else to bring.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Bring both parts of your driving licence (card and paper)-alot of people forget the green paper and you will need it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ive accepted a job in Dubai starting in August!

So Yes thanks for posting this link as didn't realise id need to fill this in!! So much appreciated! I'm ticking jobs off the list as I come across them and this forum is proving a god send!! Hopefully I'll get everything I need sorted before the move!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Simpleplan .... What are you and your girlfriend doing about being an unmarried couple? Are you living separately? I've heard stories of people heading off to Gretna Green to get a marriage certificate so they can live together? Me an my Boyf are weighing up the options!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Simpleplan .... What are you and your girlfriend doing about being an unmarried couple? Are you living separately? I've heard stories of people heading off to Gretna Green to get a marriage certificate so they can live together? Me an my Boyf are weighing up the options!
TBH from what i've heard and spoken to people about, if you are discreet then most landlords do not mind unmarried couples living together.

We don't have the luxury of time to go to gretna green but if you are worried then go for it!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've heard stories of people heading off to Gretna Green to get a marriage certificate so they can live together?
...and stories are all they are! In days of yore, English youngsters would elope over the border to Gretna, as Scots law considers anyone over 16 to be 'adult' and therefore do not require either set of parents' permission for a marriage to take place. (In England you had (have?) to be 18.)

Also under Scots law, you must register your notice to marry/register a civil partnership at least 14 days before your intended ceremony date (as opposed to 15 days in England and Wales). Unlike England and Wales however, there is no residence requirement and you do not have to appear at the registration office in person to register your notice: you can do it via post, or via email/'phone calls.

The other (big) difference is that a notice to marry/register a civil partnership is valid for 3 months in Scotland, as opposed to 12 months in England/Wales/Northern Ireland.

teuchter

·
Registered
59 Posts
Living in Dubai and Gretna green advice!!! Love it :) not sure which direction we will go in yet, whether will take the chance and live together unmarried or whether we will be like 16years old head north of the border!!

When do you go Simpleplan?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.