Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I made a thread some days ago but now my circumstances have changed so thought it would be best to make a new one to avoid confusion.

My situation is:

I have been living and working in the U.K for the past 2 years on a working holiday visa and will be leaving to go travelling before returning to Australia near the end of the year. My U.K visa runs out in July.

Since I will be leaving the U.K once my visa expires, am I entitled to any refund of tax that I have paid? If so what is the best way to go about sorting this out? I have payslips/p60 form etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Hello,

I made a thread some days ago but now my circumstances have changed so thought it would be best to make a new one to avoid confusion.

My situation is:

I have been living and working in the U.K for the past 2 years on a working holiday visa and will be leaving to go travelling before returning to Australia near the end of the year. My U.K visa runs out in July.

Since I will be leaving the U.K once my visa expires, am I entitled to any refund of tax that I have paid? If so what is the best way to go about sorting this out? I have payslips/p60 form etc.
All you need is P45 from your last employer after finishing. Then download P50 form and complete it, enclosing part 2 and 3 of P45 and send off. The address is the tax office dealing with your employer, which should be on P45, P60 etc or ask the payroll. Then after a few weeks, money will be paid into your UK account. So don't close it yet. Then withdraw using your cash card in Australia.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All you need is P45 from your last employer after finishing. Then download P50 form and complete it, enclosing part 2 and 3 of P45 and send off. The address is the tax office dealing with your employer, which should be on P45, P60 etc or ask the payroll. Then after a few weeks, money will be paid into your UK account. So don't close it yet. Then withdraw using your cash card in Australia.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf

Thanks heaps mate, legend!

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Thanks heaps mate, legend!
Just to deflate you slightly, you won't get a huge amount back. Your tax affair should be up to date to 5th April 2012. So what you are likely to get back is the tax you've paid or will be paying since 6th April. Look at last month's payslip. It should state income tax deducted. That's roughly the amount you get back mutiplied by the number of months since April, and pro-rata for odd days.

You won't get back any of your national insurance contributions. Instead they build up entitlement to retirement pension, and you never know, you may return to UK and work again in future. 30 years of contribution gets you full pension, and anything less pro-rata.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.