Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my family is moving back to the States after spending two years in Paris. My husband worked as a researcher for the full two years at ENS. We were wondering if we are able to get back the money we put in towards retirement in France; the money taken out monthly from his paycheck. This was just a two year deal and we won't be coming back to reap the benefits of the retirement system here.

Any thoughts or advice on what options we have to recoup that money?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
51,556 Posts
I'm not sure anymore precisely what the options are. It used to be that you could reclaim your retirement "contributions" if you were in the system less than a certain period of time - or, you can leave them be and they actually will pay you a tiny sum once you tell them you are officially retired. A friend of mine worked for 3 years at the airport in Mulhouse while resident in Switzerland and now she gets the royal sum of 50 Swiss francs (I think it is) every year.

If you're in Paris, I would contact the US Social Security office at the Consulate and see what information they can give you. (Obviously, you're not the first to have this question.) I tried looking on the French retirement system website (CNAV, if you're interested) but the only vaguely relevant document I could find was marked as being in process of being updated for recent changes in the rules. I know the US Social Security system does give you credit for periods worked in France when it comes time to calculate your Social Security entitlement in the US, so they must have some information on the topic.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not sure anymore precisely what the options are. It used to be that you could reclaim your retirement "contributions" if you were in the system less than a certain period of time - or, you can leave them be and they actually will pay you a tiny sum once you tell them you are officially retired. A friend of mine worked for 3 years at the airport in Mulhouse while resident in Switzerland and now she gets the royal sum of 50 Swiss francs (I think it is) every year.
I was told by our HR people that France will not pay an American (who is not living in France when he retires) anything from their retirement funds unless 1.) That American also happens to be a French citizen or 2.) The french retirement is more than the American Social Security retirement, and then they will only pay you the difference. So my company, which was recently bought by a US firm, is going to try and have my retirement deductions for France redirected to the US social security department (apparently that is an option only available to Americans working for American companies in France).

Please let us know if you figure out how to reclaim those contributions. My enquiries were unsucessful, so at this point I have pretty much written off any hopes of ever seeing that money again :-( But hey, this is France, you talk to different people you get different answers :)

Bon Courage!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.