Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm moving back to the US at the end of June. I have just a couple quick questions for anyone who has maybe gone through this process already.

1) Regarding French taxes, I still owe one more quarterly payment for my 2013 taxes and will owe the full amount for 2014 taxes. Is it possible to pay this all in full before I leave France (maybe on the tax website?).

2) What about my taxe d'habitation since I lived in my apartment on January 1? Do I need to notify the French tax authorities of my new US address? If not, how will they know where to send me my final tax bills?

3) I have Free mobile. What is the process for cancelling with them? I think you have to send a certified letter? Also, for anyone who has cancelled with Free, how long did it take for them to actually turn off the service? I'm wondering if I should go ahead and send in the cancellation letter now? I'll be departing July 1, so ideally, I'd like to still have cell service up until that point, but obviously don't want to continue paying once I leave!

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jill

·
Administrator
51,328 Posts
Check your Free contract (probably on the website) - you usually have to cancel a month in advance, which would mean you should send you letter now, giving July 1 as the date you'd like the service discontinued. (Or else to the end of your monthly billing period.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
Lived in US, France, Canada, & UK
1,322 Posts
I'm moving back to the US at the end of June...

2) What about my taxe d'habitation since I lived in my apartment on January 1? Do I need to notify the French tax authorities of my new US address? If not, how will they know where to send me my final tax bills?
This is the only one with which I can assist.

After we bought our house here, we only used it for vacations for 3 years. I went to the nearest treasury office and asked if they could send my tax d'habitation & tax fonciere bills to my US address. It took all of 5 minutes and one form to make that happen.

Bon Voyage.

Ray

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You should contact your local tax office, advise them when you are leaving and give them your US address. You should then receive your tax notice at your new address. I believe you will be required to submit a tax declaration next year for the period to end June this year. In any case, your tax office will be able to advise you of the precise steps you need to take.
Hope this helps :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts