Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what the implications of Britain leaving the EU would be in respect of health services. Would one still be entitled to use the Spanish health service

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
NoOne Knows , but I imagine there would still be a reciprocal agreement?
If not UK had better prepare for a mass exodus from Spain
It will become a country for the rich and old( if it isn't already)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I wonder what the implications of Britain leaving the EU would be in respect of health services. Would one still be entitled to use the Spanish health service
It would only affect pensioners, etc.

Generally, people (Spanish or British) aren't entitled to free Spansih state healthcare unless they contribute to the system by paying Spanish social security- so nothing would change in that respect.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
It would only affect pensioners, etc.

Generally, people (Spanish or British) aren't entitled to free Spansih state healthcare unless they contribute to the system by paying Spanish social security- so nothing would change in that respect.
This is true; there are just a few (I suspect) who are 'sin recursos".

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Why would the UK not carry on paying for the pensioners as they do ?, after all those in power/charge are all very Honorable are they not ? ;)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Why would the UK not carry on paying for the pensioners as they do ?, after all those in power/charge are all very Honorable are they not ? ;)
Because in the eyes of the Govt., we are EX Pats, unrepresented and third class citizens and ex pat bashing is highly popular with the shivering masses that remain in the U.K.

·
Administrator
36,528 Posts
We will have to pay monthly into the Spanish health care system, no problem, cheaper than private healthcare.
not if we've been registered as resident since before April 24 2012......

assuming they let us stay :eek:

·
Administrator
36,528 Posts
How does that affect us?
everyone who was a legally registered resident before April 24 2012 is entitled to free healthcare

so even if the UK stopped paying - it wouldn't affect you

you might have to do a bit of paper shuffling - but you'd get free healthcare

under current rules, anyway

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Regardless it ain't gonna happen (IMO)
They will simply rig the vote to get the result they want & that is to stay in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok what about us new pensioners? Also with a disability as well should we all not bother to try and retire to Spain and unable to get PHI? What we do? Are we stuck in the UK to shiver forever?
Even though the heat makes my husband health so much better and makes him have some sort of life again. Think it could be against human rights not to give us health care? But they may not care? Xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Ok what about us new pensioners? Also with a disability as well should we all not bother to try and retire to Spain and unable to get PHI? What we do? Are we stuck in the UK to shiver forever?
Even though the heat makes my husband health so much better and makes him have some sort of life again. Think it could be against human rights not to give us health care? But they may not care? Xxx

They would never refuse to give you healthcare. But like most other countries, they may make you pay for it.

If the UK did leave the EU, I think the EU would fall apart, once one country left, a few more might think about it. I dont think there is any point in worrying about this happening yet and there is no way of predicting how or what might happen

Jo xxx

·
Registered
174 Posts
So may be should just retire to Spain as would so help my husband to prolong and enjoy life...I hope? Want the life style ..do need health care can't afford a fortune for health care. Hubby has numerous on going probs. I have quite a few. Although under control at present would like to foot the bill? As not enough money unless billionaires?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
So may be should just retire to Spain as would so help my husband to prolong and enjoy life...I hope? Want the life style ..do need health care can't afford a fortune for health care. Hubby has numerous on going probs. I have quite a few. Although under control at present would like to foot the bill? As not enough money unless billionaires?
I suspect that even if it happen - it wont for a few years and they havent even organised the referendum yet. So dont worry about it for now, but always have an exit strategy just in case you need to return

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Of course it's not against your human rights. Even within the EU nobody automatically qualifies for free healthcare. Every country has different qualification criteria.

The UK, has some of the easiest criteria - i.e you must be resident in the UK. This is part of the reason why so many immigrants ant to be in the UK.

Spain and many other countries- you qualify through paying social security contributions. That applies whether you are Spanish or an immigrant.

USA, etc- primarily private healthcare.

......and anyway, you'll have noticed that this Government are hoping to get us out of the EU Human Rights ......!!

As Jojo says there is little point speculating about this at the moment. Rules can and do change all the time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok but I can only keep some cash to rent if we have to come back to UK. And hope it,s enough to cover our rent for life? But life is short . So let's just say so be it?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
rent here and rent there to offset it. You'll be fine. dont change your plans for something that may or may not happen in the distant future :)

Jo xxx

·
Registered
567 Posts
rent here and rent there to offset it. You'll be fine. dont change your plans for something that may or may not happen in the distant future :)

Jo xxx
Hi - not so distant, Jo; David Cameron has been talking up the possibility of the Referendum date being brought forward from the promised 2017 to 2016!

I've been keeping an eye on the 'Greece' section of this forum, expecting to find a well- subscribed thread on the looming potential for a Greek 'Grexit' from the EU. To my amazement, I've found nothing on the subject - yet there are new members, requesting info. re. their plans for relocation to that country, apparently unconcerned ( or, oblivious...?) to possible ramifications...!

Personally, I'd much rather be forewarned and forearmed - anyone posting on our Spanish thread, with the assumption that anything would remain the same for us, as British migrants, following a UK 'Brexit' , is ignoring the fact that the EU is a 'bloc', with all that that term implies! I read that there are, approx. 200,000 British pensioners resident in the South of Spain - I cannot think of any reason why Spain might choose to provide free healthcare to any of them, if we chose to leave the EU!

Neither would the British Govt. feel obliged to reimburse the Spanish authorities for such healthcare! I'm not at all sure that the £60 per month option would be made available to us, either.

I've been spending time, whilst in the UK, with my very elderly mother and her similarly- aged friends. The cost of their healthcare, to the NHS, must surely be enormous - virtually all have one or more eyesight diseases. Most, again, have mobility issues - bionic knees, hips, walking frames and wheelchairs featuring large...!

So,,why, on earth, would Spain choose to fund any of the necessary healthcare, if our nation were to give up, voluntarily, our EU membership? The resultant costs would be astronomical...consider the immediate and long- term financial implications for Spanish citizens, should future non - EU British pensioners be diagnosed with any of the really serious diseases...Cancer; Heart problems; Diabetes; Parkinson's etc...

I'm obviously much more pessimistic than most, here, on our future as UK migrants, in the case of a 'Brexit!' However, I am faintly optimistic that voters would opt to stay in the EU - fingers very tightly crossed...!

Saludos, GC.

Reactions: Tammydog

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi - not so distant, Jo; David Cameron has been talking up the possibility of the Referendum date being brought forward from the promised 2017 to 2016!

I've been keeping an eye on the 'Greece' section of this forum, expecting to find a well- subscribed thread on the looming potential for a Greek 'Grexit' from the EU. To my amazement, I've found nothing on the subject - yet there are new members, requesting info. re. their plans for relocation to that country, apparently unconcerned ( or, oblivious...?) to possible ramifications...!

Personally, I'd much rather be forewarned and forearmed - anyone posting on our Spanish thread, with the assumption that anything would remain the same for us, as British migrants, following a UK 'Brexit' , is ignoring the fact that the EU is a 'bloc', with all that that term implies! I read that there are, approx. 200,000 British pensioners resident in the South of Spain - I cannot think of any reason why Spain might choose to provide free healthcare to any of them, if we chose to leave the EU!

Neither would the British Govt. feel obliged to reimburse the Spanish authorities for such healthcare! I'm not at all sure that the £60 per month option would be made available to us, either.

I've been spending time, whilst in the UK, with my very elderly mother and her similarly- aged friends. The cost of their healthcare, to the NHS, must surely be enormous - virtually all have one or more eyesight diseases. Most, again, have mobility issues - bionic knees, hips, walking frames and wheelchairs featuring large...!

So,,why, on earth, would Spain choose to fund any of the necessary healthcare, if our nation were to give up, voluntarily, our EU membership? The resultant costs would be astronomical...consider the immediate and long- term financial implications for Spanish citizens, should future non - EU British pensioners be diagnosed with any of the really serious diseases...Cancer; Heart problems; Diabetes; Parkinson's etc...

I'm obviously much more pessimistic than most, here, on our future as UK migrants, in the case of a 'Brexit!' However, I am faintly optimistic that voters would opt to stay in the EU - fingers very tightly crossed...!

Saludos, GC.
I hear what you're saying, but even if they brought the referendum forward, it's got to be the "right" vote, then they'll have to sort it all and that may take a while, the wheels and cogs of politics dont move very fast.... A few years at least

But even then, rent here and rent there??? Then it's easier to move back if necessary??

Can you imagine the chaos and financial disruption if all British elderly expats suddenly put their properties on the market and leave? So it will need planning...

Jo xxx

Sent from my D5803 using Expat Forum

1 - 20 of 33 Posts