Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was recently made redundant by my company here in Dubai. They've told me that they can keep my visa open for maximum 3 months, so I can keep looking for employment or move back to my home country. Currently I'm not having much luck on the job front and am preparing myself in case I need to leave the country.

I've made a checklist of things to do. Could anyone offer advice or pointers? Do I have the order of things correct? Is it realistic to expect that this can be done in a couple of months?

I've never done this before so quite worried about how things will go, especially in regards to my apartment. The landlord is a real estate company and they have been a bit of a nightmare to deal with. They were meant to update my condition report (I noticed a few things wrong with the apartment right after I moved in), months ago but they keep putting it off.

1. Notify landlord. Contract requires 2 months’ notice period.
2. Sell off furniture (Dubizzle)
3. Move to hotel for the remaining period.
4. Clean, repair and repaint apartment. Does anyone have any recommendations for repairmen to use? I live in Motor City.
5. Cancel Du / DEWA / Emicool contracts and get back security deposits.
6. Cancel leased car.
7. Hand over apartment back to landlord and get back security deposit and un cashed cheques. How likely is it to get back the security deposit? I guess it really depends on the real estate company.
8. Notify bank. I know there are fees and penalties with regards to early cancellation of things. So I was hoping to notify the bank last, so I can take care of all these things first. I don't have any loans and the amount in my transaction account should cover my credit card.
9. Company cancels visa and hand back medical insurance cards.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
sounds about right.

Not sure if you will have any fees with the banks though for closing the accounts/cards.
Before the visa cancellation make sure that the company pays you your end of service benefits. Do not sign the cancellation form unless it it paid already.

Unless you have it in your contract, or if your security deposit is large, why bother with the painting etc. of the apartment? Let them deduct 1000-2000 Dhs.

The key issue is how long you intend to stay in a hotel. The security deposits usually take time to be returned (no surprises there).

If you have a post paid phone connection, convert it to pay as you go.

there was this article in the National which should help you as well.
Leaving the UAE? Here’s how to do so the right way | The National

All the best!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think you have most things covered. I got 100% of my security deposit back. I lived in Armada tower in JLT. They usually give you an itemized quote/receipt of any charges taken out from security deposit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Painter & bank

Hi Haru,

Sorry to hear you have to go. I made a few notes in red below.

Hi All,

I've made a checklist of things to do. Could anyone offer advice or pointers? Do I have the order of things correct? Is it realistic to expect that this can be done in a couple of months?

I've never done this before so quite worried about how things will go, especially in regards to my apartment. The landlord is a real estate company and they have been a bit of a nightmare to deal with. They were meant to update my condition report (I noticed a few things wrong with the apartment right after I moved in), months ago but they keep putting it off.

1. Notify landlord. Contract requires 2 months’ notice period. THERE MAY ALSO BE AN EARLY TERMINATION PENALTY.
2. Sell off furniture (Dubizzle)
3. Move to hotel for the remaining period.
4. Clean, repair and repaint apartment. Does anyone have any recommendations for repairmen to use? I live in Motor City. I RECENTLY SAW (ON FACEBOOK) A RECOMMENDATION BY SOMEONE IN MOTOR CITY, FOR A PAINTER WHO DID THE JOB FOR 700 AED. I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THAT'S GOOD OR NOT BUT THEY WERE HAPPY WITH THE JOB. IF YOU'RE NOT ON FBOOK, I WILL PM YOU THE INFO IF YOU WANT. (I DON'T THINK I'M ALLOWED TO MENTION FACEBOOK GROUPS HERE.)
5. Cancel Du / DEWA / Emicool contracts and get back security deposits.
6. Cancel leased car.
7. Hand over apartment back to landlord and get back security deposit and un cashed cheques. How likely is it to get back the security deposit? I guess it really depends on the real estate company. CHECK YOUR TENANCY CONTRACT. OURS STATES THAT THE LANDLORD/PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY CAN RETURN IT TO US 60 DAYS AFTER THE END OF THE CONTRACT. (MADE ME WONDER JUST HOW MANY DEPOSITS THEY'VE BEEN ABLE TO KEEP, USING THAT SNEAKY LITTLE CLAUSE...)
8. Notify bank. I know there are fees and penalties with regards to early cancellation of things. So I was hoping to notify the bank last, so I can take care of all these things first. I don't have any loans and the amount in my transaction account should cover my credit card. I'VE SEEN RECENT COMMENTS ON THIS FORUM THAT, SHOULD THE EMPLOYER NOTIFY THE BANK THEY'VE LET YOU GO, THE BANK CAN AND WILL FREEZE YOUR ACCOUNT. MY ADVICE WOULD BE TO WITHDRAW OR TRANSFER AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU CAN OUT OF THE BANK ASAP, AND LEAVE ONLY WHAT'S REQUIRED TO PAY BILLS.
9. Company cancels visa and hand back medical insurance cards.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds about right.

Not sure if you will have any fees with the banks though for closing the accounts/cards.
Before the visa cancellation make sure that the company pays you your end of service benefits. Do not sign the cancellation form unless it it paid already.

Unless you have it in your contract, or if your security deposit is large, why bother with the painting etc. of the apartment? Let them deduct 1000-2000 Dhs.

The key issue is how long you intend to stay in a hotel. The security deposits usually take time to be returned (no surprises there).

If you have a post paid phone connection, convert it to pay as you go.

there was this article in the National which should help you as well.
Leaving the UAE? Here’s how to do so the right way | The National

All the best!
Thanks for the link and info.

I haven't seen a cancellation form, is there one for the visa? There is a form that outlines the final payment though. I haven't been with them for a year yet so I won't be receiving any gratuity payment.

Hopefully I will only need to stay in the hotel for a week, maximum a month. It is within the contract that I need to repaint the apartment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you have most things covered. I got 100% of my security deposit back. I lived in Armada tower in JLT. They usually give you an itemized quote/receipt of any charges taken out from security deposit.
Thanks for the info. Do they give back the un cashed post dated cheques?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Thanks for the link and info. I haven't seen a cancellation form, is there one for the visa? There is a form that outlines the final payment though. I haven't been with them for a year yet so I won't be receiving any gratuity payment. Hopefully I will only need to stay in the hotel for a week, maximum a month. It is within the contract that I need to repaint the apartment.
You will only get the cancellation form to sign when you are thirty days away from leaving. As your company has given you three months, I'd imagine that's the reason you haven't received it yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all,

Just a couple of extra questions. I'm trying to figure out how to send things back to Australia. Browsing online, there were a couple of moving companies recommended on this site (eg Crown). Is it worth engaging those companies for something like a couple of boxes or are they more for large moves with furniture? The site wasn't too clear about their services. I have about 25kg worth of books / DVDs / papers / clothes / small random things. Would it be better to just go with FedEx or some courier company?

Also, do you have to return your driving license / emirates ID before you leave?

Thanks,
Haru

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hey all,

Just a couple of extra questions. I'm trying to figure out how to send things back to Australia. Browsing online, there were a couple of moving companies recommended on this site (eg Crown). Is it worth engaging those companies for something like a couple of boxes or are they more for large moves with furniture? The site wasn't too clear about their services. I have about 25kg worth of books / DVDs / papers / clothes / small random things. Would it be better to just go with FedEx or some courier company?

Also, do you have to return your driving license / emirates ID before you leave?

Thanks,
Haru
You mean the total shipment would be around 25kg? Why not just take it with you as an extra luggage? When we moved here we simply paid for extra luggage with emirates and brought boxes instead of suitcases.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You mean the total shipment would be around 25kg? Why not just take it with you as an extra luggage? When we moved here we simply paid for extra luggage with emirates and brought boxes instead of suitcases.
I did this originally when I moved here, the company was willing to reimburse the cost. But moving back they won't be paying. If I remember correctly the cost was quite high. Almost the same as another plane ticket if I remember correctly!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I did this originally when I moved here, the company was willing to reimburse the cost. But moving back they won't be paying. If I remember correctly the cost was quite high. Almost the same as another plane ticket if I remember correctly!
Try unaccompanied baggage, it's generally much cheaper.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hmm - I remember we paid like 170 dollars per extra bag when we flew from Toronto with Emirates. Maybe check what your airline is charging for your flight back?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice. In terms of courier Skynet seems to be the cheapest, followed by Empost. I haven't checked out unaccompanied baggage, didn't know there was such a thing!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Thanks for the advice. In terms of courier Skynet seems to be the cheapest, followed by Empost. I haven't checked out unaccompanied baggage, didn't know there was such a thing!
Emirates has a pretty good service here, as does Etihad. Not sure about other airlines.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
As you are laving and not coming back, I would recommend you get an Australian company to do the move. Do not engage anyone in Dubai.

The reason is simple - if you have problems when back in Australia, you will be ignored by the Dubai shipper as they know you can do nothing and would not get on a flight to come over and hassle them.

If you use a home shipper, its much easier to get them to do the work of sorting problems out and you can sue them more easily than suing a Dubai firm from overseas which is a no-hoper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Guys,

I have another question. I stumbled across a thread that mentioned tenants had to cancel the Ejari contract themselves for early rental terminations. Is this correct? What is the process? Is this something the landlord normally takes care of?

I'm pretty confused about the whole Ejari thing. When I signed my lease, the landlord (real estate company representing them) took care of Ejari registration. I just paid a fee and they gave me a copy of the tenancy contract information registration certificate.

Thanks,
Haru

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.