Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations of websites for learning Portuguese on line?

I have seen a few sites and like a couple of them however the ones that I did like taught the Brazilian
dialect and I would like to learn the European Dialect of Portuguese.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give babbel a try, just go on line type "babbel" and get the free trial
I tried babbel and I actually really like the website and features it offers. My only concern was they teach Brazilian Dialect Portuguese and not European Portuguese.

I assumed learning European dialect Portuguese would be better used in Portugal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
free lessons at memrise.com It's a very good system, I have actually learned a bit from it.

There are lots of courses to choose from, and unlike many it is actually Portuguese, not Brazilian Portuguese! I am woking on this lesson:

Beginners Portuguese, - Memrise
This does seem like a nice system and that was the problem I was having that all the sites had Brazilian Portuguese and not European.

I liked babbel but it was Brazilian .. This memrise seems pretty good I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
This does seem like a nice system and that was the problem I was having that all the sites had Brazilian Portuguese and not European.

I liked babbel but it was Brazilian .. This memrise seems pretty good I will give it a shot.
Good luck! It really is rather good if you stick with it. Like I didn't o_O lol

I have returned to the site today and will pick it up again. Thanks for the reminder! lol :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck! It really is rather good if you stick with it. Like I didn't o_O lol

I have returned to the site today and will pick it up again. Thanks for the reminder! lol :)
Well after doing a few lessons on the European Portuguese it seems there is no audio. That is really a downer cause listening to the pronunciation is pretty important. Their Brazilian does have audio.

Finding it difficult to find a language website that has the all the features :confused2:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well after doing a few lessons on the European Portuguese it seems there is no audio. That is really a downer cause listening to the pronunciation is pretty important. Their Brazilian does have audio.

Finding it difficult to find a language website that has the all the features :confused2:
There is audio on the one I have. Some lessons include it, but not always for every word. Some don't.

Check your speakers and volume! lol Beginners Portuguese, - Memrise

I just checked it and that course does have audio.

This one does too: ! Easy Portuguese • Conjugation, An easy way to learn European Portuguese conjugation online for free. - Memrise

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4 Posts
Duolingo

I'm using Duolingo app on my phone and PC, to supplement formal classes in European Portuguese here in London

- I'm too much of a beginner to know whether Duolingo is Brazilian or European portuguese, but so far it sounds much like my teacher in class...

What's great about Duolingo is you can set it up to remind you to practise, and you can link to friends etc. so there's pressure to do a bit daily.
Might sound a bit naff, but if you don't practise everyday, you don't learn
- I've found it really helpful in keeping me moving forward between formal classes.

Good luck!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts