Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I separated a while ago and have divorced my wife now.

I am here on a 475 visa my ex wife is the main applicant, I havent seen her for 7 months, I am going to court to see my son.

I recieved a court paper response from her that my visa was cancelled last year August 2014 because I am now not a member of her family.

Please can somebody advise me? a lawyer?

I put my visa number into the vevo website it says my number doesnt match my current visa, what does this mean?? do I have a visa?

I was told that if we separated I could stay here and apply for permanent residency.

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Your visa is only a temporary one and your visa Is only active because of your relationship with your wife. If that relaionship is no more more then wife is required to contact to immigration which it sounds like a she did. Your visa has been cancelled. You need to see a laywer immediantly as your visa status will have a massive impact on any child custody arrangements.

What have you been doing visa wise for the last 7 months? Have you submitted another visa application or where you just "waiting" to make a decision what to do? You would have been placed in a bridging visa if you immediately applied for a PR visa but dong nothing is going to cost you greatly now

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your visa is only a temporary one and your visa Is only active because of your relationship with your wife. If that relaionship is no more more then wife is required to contact to immigration which it sounds like a she did. Your visa has been cancelled. You need to see a laywer immediantly as your visa status will have a massive impact on any child custody arrangements.

What have you been doing visa wise for the last 7 months? Have you submitted another visa application or where you just "waiting" to make a decision what to do? You would have been placed in a bridging visa if you immediately applied for a PR visa but dong nothing is going to cost you greatly now
I wasnt eligible for a permanent visa then. I am now.

So have i been living here illegal???? it says on the vevo website it doesnt match my current visa number. so do i have a visa still????

if visa was cancelled wouldnt it say cancelled?

Well my ex wife is from overseas she is going back to her country november, I will have to leave???

I will never see my son again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If your wife is moving back overseas then your custody issues need to be taken up with that country. Her visa for Australia is only Temporary so custody can only be sorted here when both of you have legal visas...at the moment you do not. The moment you separated you had 28 days to leave the country and you did not. Your visa is 100% linked to being in a constant relationship with your wife. You are not any longer so your visa has been cancelled ....your wife was legally obliged to notify immigration when you separated which she did.

Applying for a PR visa is not going to help you see your child if the child is moving overseas. Applying for a Oe visa is going to be extremely hard as you are an illegal overstayed and that usually results in a three year ban of being in the country. You need to see an immigration and family lawyer ASAP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts