Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... super stupid question time....

Has anyone purchased one of these Freidoras...

Reason I ask is that with all other deep fat friers I have purchased in the past, the oil sits in its own tank and the heater is mounted to the underside of that tank making cleaning that much easier.

This beast doesn't appear to have a separate tank and the oil is directly heated by a thermostatically controlled element which sits in the oil a bit like a horizontal immersion heater where immersion is the operative word!

The idiots guide, sorry manufacturers instruction leaflet makes no mention of a separate tank and I can't see how it would work if there was one. I addressed the question to Lausons Tech Support people and they came back with a response that amounted to how to cook food using the Freidora but specifically ignored my question concerning the heater element being immersed in the oil...

So... has anyone got a Freidora similar to this? I dont want to risk blowing the damn thing up, but I am suffering from serious chip withdrawal symptoms!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It is perfectly ok. In fact all the deep fat fryers I have ever owned operate with this kind of system. Never had a problem and so I recommend you go have some chips for breakfast...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thrax...

Thanks for that. Chips for breakfast... now there's an idea!

Transport Cafe, greasy spoon breakfast, sausage, eggs, bacon, beans, tomatoes and chips; Can't do the fried slice because gluten-free bread doesn't react well to frying, but having just cleaned up the dogs overnight offerings, sounds positively disgusting. Disgusting but GREAT!

Cheers!

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
We bought one of those Tefal Actifry gadgets which cooks chips etc. with less than a teaspoon of oil.
Very healthy so you could have chips for breakfast lunch and dinner every day.
If you were so inclined...

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
mrypg9

Great idea but unfortunately funds won't run to that kind of cost... £100-£150 (amazon uk) and 150€ + from Amazon es...

Ah well... Will just have to stay with the normal version!
I've seen them cheaper, can't remember where....You can use them to cook other vegetables, meat, fish etc...

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Ours cost €49 from Eroski. Cooks everything but then it is a deep fat fryer and it's up to the cook what the throw in.... For me it is important that the fryer has a temp range of at least 120C - 190C

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We bought one of those Tefal Actifry gadgets which cooks chips etc. with less than a teaspoon of oil.
Very healthy so you could have chips for breakfast lunch and dinner every day.
If you were so inclined...
We can do them in our halogen oven.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Deep fat frying has a very bad press but if it's done properly with the correct oil it is actually a very healthy way of eating. The real issue is people not changing the oil often enough. It denatures (chemist folk on here will know what that means) and it is then very unhealthy having become carcinogenic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.