Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a U.S. citizen who lives in London, am married to a British citizen and want to visit my family in California. Based on the latest COVID-19 rules I've been able to find, it seems like this is possible, but I'm not sure.

Going the one way, there's a U.S. rule under Presidential Proclamation 9996 that seems, if I understand it right, to ban visitors from the UK unless they are American citizens like me or are family members of one, like my spouse. The text also suggests her ESTA won't apply, but I think maybe she can apply for a visa?

Going the other way, I see that there's a 2-week quarantine rule and that the EU (but not the UK?) is not opening up travel to Americans.

Any thoughts on how to navigate this situation to visit relatives in the Bay Area? (I see SFO is open for international travel.) Has anyone managed it? Are the rules expected to tighten later in the year, with the way things are going?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The UK is still part of the EU and so no travel to either for Americans for the time being. I’m watching this closely, as we want to reschedule our wedding in London. I’m guessing that we’ll need to wait for the surges to resolve in the 40 states having them, which based on what has transpired so far around the world seems to be about three months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I came across your post because I'm basically in the same situation, and would also like to know what we'd need to do to travel, so I'm not much more knowledgeable than you are, and you can take what I say with a grain of salt because of this.

I've looked at the UK government guidance and I believe you'd be able to return to the UK, but would need to quarantine for 14 days upon return. You also apparently need to provide your contact details (looks like this is via a government website) before you travel (up to 48 hours ahead of travel).

I'm less certain about how entering the US would go. I agree with your reading of the presidential proclamation that your wife should be allowed to enter the US, as she's the spouse of a US citizen, but it is unclear how this actually works (i.e. ESTA? a visa?). If anyone can shed light on this bit, I'll be interested to know.

The other thing we've been thinking about is travel insurance, as most 'normal' insurance won't cover travel to the US when the government is advising against it. It is possible to get insurance that covers the trip, including Covid-19 related cancellations and medical issues (see Trailfinders, for example), but it's probably worth reading the fine print.

Anyway, if you find out more, or do end up traveling, please do keep us updated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Maybe we can keep each other posted as we find out more. I was thinking of trying to talk to someone at the embassy. Would be curious to hear what you find out and how it goes.

As we've been holed up in Morden for months hardly going anywhere, I'd be all right with quarantining. Just hoping to see the family in the U.S. this year...

Pallykin, hoping your wedding sorts out OK.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I'm a U.S. citizen who lives in London, am married to a British citizen and want to visit my family in California. Based on the latest COVID-19 rules I've been able to find, it seems like this is possible, but I'm not sure.

Going the one way, there's a U.S. rule under Presidential Proclamation 9996 that seems, if I understand it right, to ban visitors from the UK unless they are American citizens like me or are family members of one, like my spouse. The text also suggests her ESTA won't apply, but I think maybe she can apply for a visa?

Going the other way, I see that there's a 2-week quarantine rule and that the EU (but not the UK?) is not opening up travel to Americans.

Any thoughts on how to navigate this situation to visit relatives in the Bay Area? (I see SFO is open for international travel.) Has anyone managed it? Are the rules expected to tighten later in the year, with the way things are going?
There is a surge in coronavirus cases in California and restrictions are still in place; social distancing, masks and many restaurants, entertainment areas, and beaches closed.
Unless you plan on your vacation consisting of mainly being with relatives and little social interaction, I would delay your vacation until the State has got a hold on this pandemic

Reactions: twee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There is a surge in coronavirus cases in California and restrictions are still in place; social distancing, masks and many restaurants, entertainment areas, and beaches closed.
Unless you plan on your vacation consisting of mainly being with relatives and little social interaction, I would delay your vacation until the State has got a hold on this pandemic
Not a vacation. I'm not planning to visit restaurants, entertainment areas or beaches but to visit two relatives. But yeah I know it's not a good time for tourism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Maybe we can keep each other posted as we find out more. I was thinking of trying to talk to someone at the embassy. Would be curious to hear what you find out and how it goes.

As we've been holed up in Morden for months hardly going anywhere, I'd be all right with quarantining. Just hoping to see the family in the U.S. this year...

If you speak to someone at the embassy, it would be interesting to hear what you find out.

We're also happy to quarantine on return, and would work this into our travel plans, but are unsure about how to go about getting into the US in the first place.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Not a vacation. I'm not planning to visit restaurants, entertainment areas or beaches but to visit two relatives.
I know you are visiting relatives..... even visiting relatives usually includes some time out and about.

Just letting you know that it's not a good time in California right now.... (I'm in SoCal)

Read the third paragraph of this website

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

I do not believe they have changed this advise......

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Please don't. Visiting family isn't essential even if you don't consider it to be tourism. I haven't seen my family in over a year (ageing parents) and I miss them desperately. I do get it, but it's not safe, and it's not worth putting people's lives at risk. The more we can avoid giving into selfish behaviour now, the sooner we can start returning to normalcy.

Reactions: nyclon

·
Registered
7 Posts

VoleQuest, did you speak to someone at the embassy? Some of the wording of the UK government guidance on traveling to the US leads me to believe that ESTA's would still be valid for individuals exempt from the proclamation (i.e. spouses of US citizens), but if definitely want to be more certain of this before traveling. It would be interesting to hear if you've found any more information.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
The US State dpt is still advising no travel unless essential.

Visiting relatives is NOT essential.

Reactions: clever-octopus

·
Registered
7 Posts
The UK is still part of the EU and so no travel to either for Americans for the time being.
The UK is no longer a member of the EU, it is involved in a "transition period".

https://www.gov.uk/transition

Americans can travel to the UK as long as they are willing to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...avirus-travel-restrictions-us-self-isolation/
Thanks, Peasant, this was my understanding as well.

I think the main question now is how one would go about getting the documents necessary for a UK spouse to travel to the US (and whether or not this is even possible).

·
1,636 Posts

I think the main question now is how one would go about getting the documents necessary for a UK spouse to travel to the US (and whether or not this is even possible).
My understanding is, that the 'US citizens and their spouses' is meant to be a returning home scenario in which the foreign spouse would already have something like a green card.

·
Registered
7 Posts

My understanding is, that the 'US citizens and their spouses' is meant to be a returning home scenario in which the foreign spouse would already have something like a green card.
I wondered about this, but thought that couldn't be right, as people who have a green card are already exempt from the proclamation. In other words, why mention spouses specifically if the only spouses allowed are already exempt from the proclamation?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts