Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to move to France in Oct. My son will be 4 years old by this time, and I would like him to start in an ecole maternelle.

However, it appears that children must be registered for the ecole maternelle prior to June in the school year in which they wish to start, which means my son would have to wait until the following September to start, by which stage he will be 5 and half.

Has anyone else tried to have a child entered in an ecole maternelle after the school year has started? I know that they have arrangements for children who are moving from one part of France to another, but I can't find any info for people arriving in the country. I've also contacted the local Mairie by email but have yet to hear back from them.

This is the biggest issue re. our move, so any info or advice would be appreciated.

thx

G

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the education section of the paris.fr website (I think!!) I read that in the case of a move, they register children all through the year for school. I was worried about this too b/c we are moving in August and I have a soon-to-be-5-yo who will need to be registered for maternelle.

Apparently I need to see a doctor to get her the vaccination card and see the mairie to register her, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I worried about this exact thing but I know I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on the 'official' sites that they register kids whenever it is needed, in case of a move from another place. I didn't see any distinction made between someone moving from another area of France, and someone moving from another country. I don't think it's a problem, they are not going to make kids wait a whole year because they missed the registration deadline. It's actually quite like the U.S., where I would be expected to register my daughter for K by May - but it's not like if I miss the deadline they will turn her away at her neighborhood school, even if it was just my mistake and not a case of having just moved in. They just like to get as many kids registered early as possible to plan the classes, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the education section of the paris.fr website (I think!!) I read that in the case of a move, they register children all through the year for school. I was worried about this too b/c we are moving in August and I have a soon-to-be-5-yo who will need to be registered for maternelle.

Apparently I need to see a doctor to get her the vaccination card and see the mairie to register her, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I worried about this exact thing but I know I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on the 'official' sites that they register kids whenever it is needed, in case of a move from another place. I didn't see any distinction made between someone moving from another area of France, and someone moving from another country. I don't think it's a problem, they are not going to make kids wait a whole year because they missed the registration deadline. It's actually quite like the U.S., where I would be expected to register my daughter for K by May - but it's not like if I miss the deadline they will turn her away at her neighborhood school, even if it was just my mistake and not a case of having just moved in. They just like to get as many kids registered early as possible to plan the classes, etc.
Thanks for that. I looked up paris.fr and found this:

"Les inscriptions ont lieu de septembre à fin janvier pour l’année suivante.
Vous serez averti des dates d’inscription par voie d’affiche dans les mairies, les écoles et les crèches. Pour une entrée immédiate à l’école (en cas notamment de déménagement) les inscriptions se prennent toute l’année."

I would post the actual link but the forum won't let me. Its isn't hard to find on the site, however.

The last sentence says that registrations for immediate entry are taken throughout the year, particularly in the case of people moving home.

Hopefully this applies throughout France and not just Paris.

Thanks a million.

G

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, that's the exact sentence I was thinking of. :) I don't see why it shouldn't apply to people moving from abroad.

The last time I tried to look at the websites of individual mairies, I couldn't get them to load on my computer - kept getting error messages. Have you had this experience too?

Ohh, I just remembered, there is a message board for maternelle teachers, they might be able to tell us something.

Le Forum de la Maternelle :: La Maternelle a enfin son forum ! Bienvenue sur le forum d'entraide et de discussions pour les enseignant(e)s de maternelle !

there is a subforum for parent questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.