Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late in Renewing Carte de Séjour

Hi all,

I'm to renew my Carte de Séjour 'vie privée et familiale' for the 2nd time before the 18th of May (6 days from now!)... though I'm still awaiting one last document for my dossier which should've arrived by now. I'm guessing the 2 days off which we've had in May is delaying the mail, as I received confirmation that the document had been processed.

In the instance that this document doesn't arrive until 2-3 days after my CdS has expired, what might I be able to expect when I actually go to the préfecture with my wife for the renewal? I've read plenty of experiences concerning expired tourist visas, but nothing concerning a long-stay visa.

Thank you in advance!
Alex

·
Registered
Lived in US, France, Canada, & UK
1,322 Posts
...I'm to renew my Carte de Séjour 'vie privée et familiale' for the 2nd time before the 18th of May (6 days from now!)... though I'm still awaiting one last document for my dossier which should've arrived by now. I'm guessing the 2 days off which we've had in May is delaying the mail, as I received confirmation that the document had been processed.

In the instance that this document doesn't arrive until 2-3 days after my CdS has expired, what might I be able to expect when I actually go to the préfecture with my wife for the renewal?...
Alex

Regardless of the document you're missing, I recommend you go to the Prefecture as soon as you can and apply for your new CdS.

Since the Prefecture will not have ordered your new CdS, you will certainly receive a temporary version, which will consist of full size piece of paper to which is attached one of the 3 or 4 photos you're required to submit. It will be stamped and signed to make it official.

The Prefecture will reveiw all the documents you do bring and they will provide you with a list of what you also need to submit. You never know what else they'll ask for, of course...so bring what you have and give them each item they request (or tell them you'll have to get it)).

On our last renewal, we called our Prefecture and they mailed us a list of what to bring. It was a surprise as the CdS renewal folks don't usually answer the phone! When we arrived at the Prefecture, we had everything on the list (originals and 3-4 copies) plus additional documentation (originals and copies) that we'd submitted before...just in case.

Even more surprisingly, (1) we were in and out of there in 25 minutes, a first, (2) they only requested the items on the list they'd mailed us, nothing additional, and (3) they did not request proof of healthcare insurance, which had always been required in the past. We have healthcare insurance and proof...but we didn't present it.

My wife and I each received a temporary CdS by mail just before our Cartes were to expire, and a letter informing us to pick up our real CdS not long after. You never know what they will decide you don't need!

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, Ray! You make an interesting point: showing that I've even tried to start the renewal process would allow me to have an official stamp from them, which alleviates some stress.

I'm skeptical, however, because the first time I renewed my Titre de séjour, the woman at the préfecture wouldn't even begin processing my dossier without this same document at that time. I'm usually of the 'it doesn't hurt to try anyway' mindset, but I also don't want to ask my wife to take off work (again) only to have them turn us away because we're missing this one paper.

:fingerscrossed: I'm hoping that paper will arrive today and that we can go tomorrow before the préfecture closes on Thursday and Friday.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
As often with French administration the requirements can change with the person behind the counter, the day of the week, what they ate for dinner yesterday etc etc. I've found a helpless looking idiot smile helps a lot.

DejW

·
Administrator
51,348 Posts
As others have noted, I'd make a "good faith" effort tomorrow, whether you have that final document or not. If the person at the desk notices that something is missing, give them the big, innocent eyes and say that you're waiting to receive it by mail and just ask them what you can do. (Better yet, ask them for their advice how to proceed. A direct personal appeal usually goes down rather well.)

They may nag at you a bit for putting it off until so late - or maybe not. But at least they will know that you're trying to play by the rules.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts