Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents live in Tenerife and my Dad has recently been diagnosed with dementia. We need to make a POA but are unsure how to go about it. My mother would be the attorney for my Dad and I would be the attorney for Mum should anything happen to her.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It's very straightforward. Your local notario (notary public) will draw up the POAs for a small fee. I think you would all have to be there in person, or at least, those mentioned in each one.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If your dad still has the power to make the decision himself, it will be straightforward but if he is unable to do so, then it is a very different matter as he has to be declared incapacitated. Only a judge can do this and it isn't a very rapid process.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
You require an 'Enduring Power of Attorney'. A normal power of Attorney is no use once a person becomes mentally unable to be considered capable of conducting there own affairs & lapses/is rescinded.
" The person who creates a power of attorney, also known as the "grantor", can only do so when he/she has the requisite mental capacity. Suppose the donor loses capacity to grant permission after the power of attorney has been created (for example, from Alzheimer's disease or a head injury in a car crash); then the power will probably no longer be effective."

I don't know whether they have different rules in Spain but you need expert advice. In addition if your father/mother have any assets in the Uk, bank accounts , insurances, house, etc; you definitely also need a uk Enduring POA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts