Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They have finally killed the last of the 42 militants that were left in Marawi. It took 5 months and several lives lost but most were militants. This goes to show you that if the leader is strong enough to do something in any country the objective can be accomplished . I am glad the Philippines has a leader like Duterte. I do agree some of his tactics are unorthodox but he gets the job done.

art

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Gary D

I have to agree to a point but any battle takes time. I have seen my country (USA) take months to do the same thing as Duterte has done and we have the most developed weapons on the planet. Fighting a battle isn't easy. Everybody thinks you can go in there and eliminate it in a few days. The only way that could be done would be like when the USA dropped atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Sure that could have been done there and it would have been over immediately.

Art

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm sure we have not heard the last of these militants. They will regroup and try something else. The PAF need more training in Urban Warfare. That's why it took as long as it did. They are good when it comes to jungle warfare but Urban Warfare is a completely different situation.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Ram1957

There is no easy solution to a war when there are civilians involved. I am sure it could have been done a little more quickly but at what cost? There were just a few civilians that lost their lives. We are suppose to be one of the most advanced countries on earth with weapons, intelligence and military and look at the time it takes us to get something done when there are civilians at stake.

I am a former marine and that is why I like Trump and Duterte. they got guts enough to do something about the problems. The Philippines are like the USA in the past, just try to talk the problems away,

art

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Ram1957

There is no easy solution to a war when there are civilians involved. I am sure it could have been done a little more quickly but at what cost? There were just a few civilians that lost their lives. We are suppose to be one of the most advanced countries on earth with weapons, intelligence and military and look at the time it takes us to get something done when there are civilians at stake.

I am a former marine and that is why I like Trump and Duterte. they got guts enough to do something about the problems. The Philippines are like the USA in the past, just try to talk the problems away,

art
The biggest problem in any war is not letting the Generals do their jobs. There are too many people involved that don't know how the military works. As a veteran of Desert Storm, we see that it can be done right when the military calls the shots. Glad we have a retired General heading up our Armed Forces now.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The biggest problem in any war is not letting the Generals do their jobs. There are too many people involved that don't know how the military works. As a veteran of Desert Storm, we see that it can be done right when the military calls the shots. Glad we have a retired General heading up our Armed Forces now.
Seems as if that is the way since WW2. Trying to micromanage the warfront from DC. The Generals should be given the order then let the Military do what the Military is supposed to do without the interference from the political side. As a VietNam Vet, I have seen how convoluted and messed things can get. Seems to be getting worse in the US as the number of Vets in Senate & Congress dwindles each election cycle with less & less understanding of the Military. My feeling is the draft should be brought back with each doing Military, Peace Corps duty or some equivalent for the good of the country. I do firmly believe that the stoppage of the draft has had such a negative effect on the character of our whole country.

Fred

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree 100%. Leave the military and war strategy up to the generals, not the idiot in the White House who has a big mouth but took every deferment he could get. He has no clue. The generals understand the consequences of war and not to enter it lightly, as opposed to the current bombastic rhetoric coming from Trump. It takes two generals just to try to contain him, lol. Thank God for Sen McCain and others who speak truth.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey JRB

Trump is the only president to give full authority to the generals to make decisions. All the other presidents tied the hands of the military. All the others wanted to do was talk and where did that get us? NO WHERE!!! Diplomacy is fine when it works. That does not work on ISIS or idiots like in NK. Trump has the guts enough to take action and not let it go to much further.

art

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Art, you are correct that prior administrations had poor relationships with the generals. Hopefully that will improve soon, and they will have more leeway.

I personally do not care for Trump and his policies but respect your opinion so will leave it at that.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Well, here it is November and just read that the military found and killed one more hold out that was hiding in that area.
Makes me wonder how many escaped the place and could regroup and try it again there or elsewhere. Mindanao is a large island with many attractions and beautiful places to vacation and live.
However, this type of event should serve as a reminder that Mindanao is not a safe place and that to live or travel there is putting oneself at risk and should cause careful reconsideration before going there for any reason. (( Personal opinion only)) :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, here it is November and just read that the military found and killed one more hold out that was hiding in that area.
Makes me wonder how many escaped the place and could regroup and try it again there or elsewhere. Mindanao is a large island with many attractions and beautiful places to vacation and live.
However, this type of event should serve as a reminder that Mindanao is not a safe place and that to live or travel there is putting oneself at risk and should cause careful reconsideration before going there for any reason. (( Personal opinion only)) :D
Well there's a reason that Mindanao has been a No-Go location for Americans since the early 1970's. But some people will never listen.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Well there's a reason that Mindanao has been a No-Go location for Americans since the early 1970's. But some people will never listen.
Amen to that! I think some other countries have travel warning out for there also. Tell ya what, just living in a 3rd world country with all of it's oddities etc is enough for me without sticking my neck out..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey JRB

I must ask a question. there are 2 options to deal with the crisis that we have in the the world today like ISIS and NK. Does the leader of this country just continue to talk (that has got us nowhere) or take military actions???? there is no other options. the first one has been going on for 25 years and look where the situation is now. Just my thought!!!

art

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Asian Spirit

You know Mindanao island has been a highly occupied area for militants for many years now. I have lived in the Davao area before. I never had a problem or even scared. I understand since Marawi was taken over by them it makes matters worse. I think being safe there is no different then in the USA. I wouldn't walk downtown in Chicago, LA, Orlando and etc. at midnight. I would not walk down a back alley all by myself. So there are safe guards that can keep a person safe. Always stay in a group of people and don't stray off by yourself. I am going back to the Davao area to live again. There are thousands of expats that live on Mindanao Island. There is never a problem with them. Also, a person wouldn't move on a battlefield to live. So a person should not live in the Sulu area or any of the Mindanao's south western regions.

JUST MY OPINION

art

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey JRB

I must ask a question. there are 2 options to deal with the crisis that we have in the the world today like ISIS and NK. Does the leader of this country just continue to talk (that has got us nowhere) or take military actions???? there is no other options. the first one has been going on for 25 years and look where the situation is now. Just my thought!!!

art
ISIS is being destroyed thanks to alliances built and military action initiated by Obama. E.g., it was Obama that armed the Kurds, allied with the Russians (irony there) and sent in US "advisers" to help. Trump merely continued those policies, and we are now seeing their fruit.

More to the point...as somebody living in northern Japan, Trump's policies regarding NK are a complete disaster. Trump is all talk and no action, nor any possibility of action--the complete opposite of what you wrote. Worse, he is basically taunting a madman--somebody who willingly kills his own relatives, who has access to missiles and nuclear weapons, and who wants to use both. If you go to war with such a person, it needs to be secret, sudden, and over quickly. You do not taunt such people over twitter...giving out aircraft carrier locations as you do it.

People in Japan recognize Trump for the coward he is, and know as well that they will need to go it alone from now on. One result of this is Abe's ability to swing Japan even more to the far right. A fully militarized Japan under Abe (himself the relative of multiple war criminals) should be considered a scary thing.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
myrrh----You must have been out of the USA to long. Trump has done more in 8 months then Obama did in 8 years. All Obama did was try to protect all the illegals here in this country. Leave our southern border porous and apologize to the Mexican president.

It will take the world to come together to completely defeat groups like ISIS and idiots like NK. Not just us.

art

·
Registered
116 Posts
myrrh----You must have been out of the USA to long.
Well, it has been fifteen years....

Trump has done more in 8 months then Obama did in 8 years. All Obama did was try to protect all the illegals here in this country. Leave our southern border porous and apologize to the Mexican president.
How about you get back to me when we build that wall...and Mexico pays for it.;)

It will take the world to come together to complete defeat groups like ISIS and idiots like NK. Not just us.
Obama understood this...which is why he worked so hard at building alliances. Does Trump?

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Redirect

I want to direct this thread back to the events and attacks in Marawi, Philippines.
There is no way for everyone to agree on US politics without arguments.
Further off topic posts on this thread will be removed.

Nuf said :focus:...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really think Duterte has done a good job in Marawi with what he has to work with there. I know there are things that can always been done better after the fact. I am on his side for trying hard to rid his country of the militants and not just talk about it. I would never want his job.

art

1 - 20 of 25 Posts