Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question from a computer idiot. My Toshiba Satellite laptop needs a new battery. On the front, next to the keyboard there's a label that tells me the laptop is a Satellite C660/C660D When I remove the battery and look on that it tells me the model number is C660-2EV When I look online for a replacement, I see, for example, that Amazon.es sell a Toshiba battery for a C660 with no mention of the -2EV My question is, should I buy the battery marked as a C660? I might add that there is quite a marked difference in price from Amazon say and Duracell for the same battery. Hope someone can advise me in my ignorance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The price difference 'might be' because of the quality.
But basically, some of these CHEAP batteries are being produced in the far east and are no where near to the standards stipulated by the likes of Duracell etc.
Chinese rubbish comes to mind.

Not from Amazon I must admit, but I have bought 2 laptop batteries and neither of them lasted much over 6 weeks, ''I got what what I paid for'' could be the reason for that, but I don't know.

But even though most suppliers will only give maybe a 6 month guarantee with laptop batteries in future I will probably be paying 3 times as much and buying from someone local, at least that way I can at least have the pleasure of looking face-to-face with the person if and when they try to wriggle out of the problem, unlike my internet purchases who just ignore any communications and eBay stating it's out of what was their 45 day period.

So good luck and shop local.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to Mediamarket and they said I had to buy the battery from Toshiba hence the search online. Don't know where else to try except for Amazon or Duracell which both carry a 2 year guarantee. My question was really is there a difference between C660 and a C660-2EV The battery in the laptop at the moment which came with it from new 3 or 4 years ago says Made in China!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went to Mediamarket and they said I had to buy the battery from Toshiba hence the search online. Don't know where else to try except for Amazon or Duracell which both carry a 2 year guarantee. My question was really is there a difference between C660 and a C660-2EV The battery in the laptop at the moment which came with it from new 3 or 4 years ago says Made in China!
It may well say 'Made in China' but it would be made to the buyers specifications which will be a lot higher than their own when selling direct, which would also mean having the correct number of cells, (only I have read where a 6 cell battery only contained 5 cells, hence cutting down on cost, and I have no idea how the power ratio would work, except the one in question didn't work very well which was how the person found out it was a cell short when they took it too pieces.

>> Duracell which both carry a 2 year guarantee >>
TBH I would rather pay the higher price and also have a worthwhile guarantee, but check that because I have never seen any advertised for more than 6 month guarantee.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Surely you must have a computer shop locally - that would be the best place to go since you'll have somebody to go back to if it is not a good deal.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surely you must have a computer shop locally - that would be the best place to go since you'll have somebody to go back to if it is not a good deal.
Tried the local Mediamart and they don't do computer batteries. I've ordered one from Amazon now. 1 year guarantee. Under 30 euro including IVA and delivery.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Tried the local Mediamart and they don't do computer batteries. I've ordered one from Amazon now. 1 year guarantee. Under 30 euro including IVA and delivery.
I was thinking of a proper computer shop where they serve YOU not themselves and you get what you want rather than what they get promotional points (cash in pocket) for selling off what nobody wants to buy.

Take a look at
Tiendas de informatica en Murcia | PÁGINAS AMARILLAS

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of a proper computer shop where they serve YOU not themselves and you get what you want rather than what they get promotional points (cash in pocket) for selling off what nobody wants to buy.

Take a look at
Tiendas de informatica en Murcia | PÁGINAS AMARILLAS
Had a look at a couple on there and they don't do batteries. They install complicated systems professionally amongst other things but no mention of batteries.The "PROPER" computer shops I've been into here, are tiny affairs with no batteries as there are just so many available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts