Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second Acer in five years that appears to fail after two years. I keep getting the blue screen of death with the message

Default boot device missing and sometimes unexpected store exception. I'm trying to find a local repair guy, it in the meantime I am researching a new laptop.

I currently have an IPAD, which I love but it's not good for work.

My needs are ( in a computer sense:D) as follows

1. Internet
  2. Streaming TV occasionally
  3. Photo storage
  4. Digital scrapbooking
  5. General word processing
  6. Downloading files re teaching

Internet is general browsing. I don't play games etc.

If any of you are technical and "know" computers any recommends. Budget to be honest the cheaper end of the market as my experience so far is not very good and I seem to be replacing e Rey two years

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
This is my second Acer in five years that appears to fail after two years. I keep getting the blue screen of death with the message

Default boot device missing and sometimes unexpected store exception. I'm trying to find a local repair guy, it in the meantime I am researching a new laptop.

I currently have an IPAD, which I love but it's not good for work.

My needs are ( in a computer sense:D) as follows

1. Internet
  2. Streaming TV occasionally
  3. Photo storage
  4. Digital scrapbooking
  5. General word processing
  6. Downloading files re teaching

Internet is general browsing. I don't play games etc.

If any of you are technical and "know" computers any recommends. Budget to be honest the cheaper end of the market as my experience so far is not very good and I seem to be replacing e Rey two years
Acer are very poor quality (IMO) - where I used to work in Australia they let the PC and laptop contract for 4 years for Acer and had exactly the same problems.

It's really hard though when you have to go to the lower end of the market. I've had my Sony Vaio 64 bit for around 6 years now and never experienced a problem - but it's not low end and I haven't even thought about what I will replace it with :) A tablet doesn't suit my needs given the programs I use often enough to make them essential.

I would definitely replace your ACER before it lets you down permanently - and back up all your files! Good luck.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acer are very poor quality (IMO) - where I used to work in Australia they let the PC and laptop contract for 4 years for Acer and had exactly the same problems.

It's really hard though when you have to go to the lower end of the market. I've had my Sony Vaio 64 bit for around 6 years now and never experienced a problem - but it's not low end and I haven't even thought about what I will replace it with :) A tablet doesn't suit my needs given the programs I use often enough to make them essential.

I would definitely replace your ACER before it lets you down permanently - and back up all your files! Good luck.

I'm about to start backing up files. I might have to up budget....... I'll need more luck telling the other half :D

Thanks

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
I've got a Lenovo all-in-one with a 20" screen, wireless keyboard and mouse. No problems in five years. Very portable because there is no tower (like a Mac) and much more comfortable to use than a laptop. Cost about €500 five years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts