Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I know that this question has been asked for many times in the forum, however it's been a while. I'd like to know what's the likely we get the jobs, especially in network engineering field, either presales or postsales, from overseas location after acquiring pr?

A short intro of me, I have 12 years of experience working in multiple renowned system integrator companies. I have worked with various clients from both enterprise and telco provider sectors, and engaged with the most cutting edge networking technology on the market . During the last 7 years, I have been stepping forward and focusing more on working on the architectural design rather than implementing on the field, to top 3 of the most notable telco providers in my country. I own a CCIE and CISSP certification. Not many network professionals in my country have the same opportunity and experience as I do right now and I am quite confident that I am valuable to the job market here.

Once I got my PR in April 2016, I started trying to find a job in Australia from overseas. Have sent hundreds of applications, either from Linkedin or Seek but saw no luck. Only a few of them have responded and resulted into 1st or 2nd interview. I once have changed my numbers into Skype Australia landline number and hid my location in my CV, and another time I have paid a professional resume editor to modify my CV into a resume that complied with the Australian style, but none of these efforts were fruitful. I also tried to pursue internal employee relocation for several times, through multiple channels that I had, but the farthest step that I got was only the 2nd interview. They preferred to choose an outsider to join instead of hiring someone who has known how to work within the organisation very well.

Some of them gave hints about culture and language barriers. Are these 2 aspects really have the greatest influence in hiring people? and disregard any professional aspects? Or is the remote location that bothers them? I personally do not see this as a concern, seeing the fact that I had the visa already and should be able to join immediately. It is also my utmost concern, if I let go my career here and land in Australia, and the culture and language barrier are still to be considered at the highest, my chance of securing a job will still be small.

What do you guys think? Could you please give me some insights what to do next?

I am really sorry if this thread is quite long and looks like a cover letter. I don't have any intention to boast myself. I just seek for help and need to describe the situation in detail to get the proper advise and hopefully it will help other members too.

Any response will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
What's your current status

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi folks,

I know that this question has been asked for many times in the forum, however it's been a while. I'd like to know what's the likely we get the jobs, especially in network engineering field, either presales or postsales, from overseas location after acquiring pr?

A short intro of me, I have 12 years of experience working in multiple renowned system integrator companies. I have worked with various clients from both enterprise and telco provider sectors, and engaged with the most cutting edge networking technology on the market . During the last 7 years, I have been stepping forward and focusing more on working on the architectural design rather than implementing on the field, to top 3 of the most notable telco providers in my country. I own a CCIE and CISSP certification. Not many network professionals in my country have the same opportunity and experience as I do right now and I am quite confident that I am valuable to the job market here.

Once I got my PR in April 2016, I started trying to find a job in Australia from overseas. Have sent hundreds of applications, either from Linkedin or Seek but saw no luck. Only a few of them have responded and resulted into 1st or 2nd interview. I once have changed my numbers into Skype Australia landline number and hid my location in my CV, and another time I have paid a professional resume editor to modify my CV into a resume that complied with the Australian style, but none of these efforts were fruitful. I also tried to pursue internal employee relocation for several times, through multiple channels that I had, but the farthest step that I got was only the 2nd interview. They preferred to choose an outsider to join instead of hiring someone who has known how to work within the organisation very well.

Some of them gave hints about culture and language barriers. Are these 2 aspects really have the greatest influence in hiring people? and disregard any professional aspects? Or is the remote location that bothers them? I personally do not see this as a concern, seeing the fact that I had the visa already and should be able to join immediately. It is also my utmost concern, if I let go my career here and land in Australia, and the culture and language barrier are still to be considered at the highest, my chance of securing a job will still be small.

What do you guys think? Could you please give me some insights what to do next?

I am really sorry if this thread is quite long and looks like a cover letter. I don't have any intention to boast myself. I just seek for help and need to describe the situation in detail to get the proper advise and hopefully it will help other members too.

Any response will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi

I know how you feel. Most of people securing PR will have this question in mind. Won't go into cultural and other details. But why don't you take LOP and land in australia for some time? GIve it a try from there. Many HRs will prefer a local candidate rather than out of country person. Of course all of them follow a standard reply while rejecting the candidates so don't fall prey to that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check if your current organization has a branch over in Aus. If not, see if you can get hired into an MNC in your place but mention that you have a Visa for Aus.

Going there and finding a job as many mentioned here earlier can be a daunting experience but still if you are ready to stay there for couple of months then you will find a Job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

I know how you feel. Most of people securing PR will have this question in mind. Won't go into cultural and other details. But why don't you take LOP and land in australia for some time? GIve it a try from there. Many HRs will prefer a local candidate rather than out of country person. Of course all of them follow a standard reply while rejecting the candidates so don't fall prey to that.
Hi Sharma1981,

Thank for replying.
what do you mean by taking LOP?
Yes i'm going to land there probably next year, as this is the only way left i have not tried.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check if your current organization has a branch over in Aus. If not, see if you can get hired into an MNC in your place but mention that you have a Visa for Aus.

Going there and finding a job as many mentioned here earlier can be a daunting experience but still if you are ready to stay there for couple of months then you will find a Job.
hi benisrael,

thank you for your words of encouragement.

yes, my organization does. as i told you in my story, i have tried twice, via different paths but still no luck. i'm going to try pursuing another one, as a vacancy in another city is open. hoping everything goes well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts