Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been living in the same property in Dubai for approx. 20 months now, so my current tenancy contract expires in March 2014.

I had a speculative phone call from my landlords PA the other day saying that he wanted to speak to me on the phone about moving in to my apartment. I said I was too busy to talk at that precise point because I was at work (also I didn't want to enter into a conversation I wasn't fully prepared for).

Would be grateful if anyone could confirm or correct me on the following points or offer any further advice for when he eventually phones back.

1. The landlord needs to give me written notice 12 months before he can make me move out, correct?

2. Does that twelve month notice start from end of my current contract? If not does that mean my next contract will be for only 8 months if he sends the letter this month (so next November I'd be homeless)?

3. My current tenancy contract isn't registered with EJARI, is it worth doing? and is it still possible even though I'm two thirds of the way through my contract? (I've got all the necessary documents to do it).

4. According to Section 2 of the RERA laws and regulations the landlord has to prove he doesn't own another suitable property, correct? (My landlord is from Lebanon)

5. We all know that when the landlord 'wants to move in' he actually means he just wants the current tenant out so he set the rent higher for a new tenant rather than being restricted by the RERA official rent increases for existing tenants. I'm actually planning to leave Dubai in May 2015, so to get another year and a bit in my existing property is all I really need, so any delaying tactics or bargaining advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yes, he has to give you 12 months notice and from what I gather that has to be 12 months from the end of your current tenancy contract.

It is worth registering your contract with Ejari - it only costs a couple of hundred dirhams to do.

Sounds like another LL trying to pull a fast one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
According to the rules, if he wants to move in, he can not rent the place for two years. But how is this actually achieved? I mean, he gives you a notice, you leave, and then he rents again. No one will actually stop him. What do you do in that case, as a former tenant? Do you file a complaint with RERA? Can you do this, since you're no longer in any contractual relationship with former LL? How do you prove that he's actually renting the place, other than see if the new tenant registered the contract with EJARI?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts