Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Business Bay and work in a university here, who provides me with housing. I'm about to leave the UAE but my landlord is trying to charge me 5000 aed for "damages" (even though there are no damages, merely wear and tear). Is this common? Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I never receive a contract/lease, nor signed one, and there was no walk through when I moved in. Colleagues say this has happened before though no one has been charged this much before. Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Hi,
Did you pay a deposit and the landlord is deducting the money from the deposit?
Or - have they sent you an invoice that they are expecting you to pay?
If they are deducting money from a deposit - then you will have a tough time getting that back.
If they have sent you an invoice - then you are in a much stronger position. In order to get you to pay the invoice they would need to show that you signed a letter or contract agreeing to pay for damages at the end of lease along with proof (photos showing the before and after "damage").
If they don't have either of these - then simply ignore them and don't answer their calls - or if they keep pestering you in person, tell them you will talk to them tomorrow.
Keep delaying them until you finally leave the country.
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Normally, if accommodation is in the employer's company name, the company would have paid the security deposit and the money would be deducted from that. The company would, in turn, discuss the matter with the employee. I know this is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but it's always a good idea to do a walk though and record with photographs for any damage when moving in and then lodge the record with the landlord to avoid these issues at the end of the contract.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! We don't get given leases from our employer and there were no walk throughs. We are sent invoices of "damages" from a third party contracting company. The housing officer in our Human Capital department is the go-between (and many people say there are big problems going on as lots of people are mysteriously charged this way). They threaten to deduct these sums from our settlement money. I heard from a colleague that this is a violation of "Article 21 of RERAR Law No. 26 of 2007". Any legal advice? Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts