Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up for 1 years lease on a villa (3 cheques, 1 already cashed), straight away things started to go horribly wrong in the house, air con not working correctly, leaks, blocked drains, a major flood and they're the current major things, the list is endless. My query is... the landlord is not interested in helping us and won't speak to us and requests us to stop nagging. We can't currently use some rooms due to aircon issue/flood. We're asking to sort these pre existing problems out or relieve us from this contract and pay our money back... How do we progress with Rera, what's the process as I don't want to get anything wrong

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just signed up for 1 years lease on a villa (3 cheques, 1 already cashed), straight away things started to go horribly wrong in the house, air con not working correctly, leaks, blocked drains, a major flood and they're the current major things, the list is endless. My query is... the landlord is not interested in helping us and won't speak to us and requests us to stop nagging. We can't currently use some rooms due to aircon issue/flood. We're asking to sort these pre existing problems out or relieve us from this contract and pay our money back... How do we progress with Rera, what's the process as I don't want to get anything wrong

Did you find the property via an agent? if so i would be camping out in their office. Secondly document and photograph everything.
You need to go to the Rent Committee not RERA
All the details are below, personally i would tell your LL that you are opening a case and have supporting pics and documents.

Settle a rental dispute at Dubai's Rental Dispute Settlement Centre

Good Luck and let us know how you get on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

Only Rera has been mentioned to me several times, what's the difference between the two companies (i realize the name of Dubai Rental Dispute Settlement Centre speaks for its self). What service does Rera offer? Even though the Landlord is in dispute of the contract i'm conceded about cancelling our contract and cheques etc.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Only Rera has been mentioned to me several times, what's the difference between the two companies (i realize the name of Dubai Rental Dispute Settlement Centre speaks for its self). What service does Rera offer? Even though the Landlord is in dispute of the contract i'm conceded about cancelling our contract and cheques etc.
RERA is the governing body and the Rent Committee are the go to people to resolve disputes between tenants and Landlords. RERA is commonly bandied around but as someone who has lived here for 11 years and had a dispute ( It is the rent committee) You cannot cancel the cheques. The only person who can cancel the cheques( I.E not bank them is the LL) The courts/Police don't even have the power to cancel cheques and the bank will tell you the same. You will have to open a case with the Rent Committee which is 3% of the annual rent fee. The entire process can take up to 75 days and everything will need to be translated into Arabic. Prior to my dispute i tried to mediate with the LL directly and told them i had sought legal advice and was opening a case. They said go ahead and luckily i won.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts