Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of who whom have the VISA; will you be making a move for good? Or only landing and will move later? And Why?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I did only landing/initial entry but my reason was i had to convince my wife about relocation so had to take her to an initial tour.
However, If you have enough money to keep you through 5-6 months jobless period you should and have not other strong reason to stay back you should move permanent.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It depends upon the situation to situation.... If I talk about my case.... I have been granted a 190 VISA for South Australia & my initial entry was in Jan, 2014. I was granted the VISA in Aug, 2013. It was a bit difficult for me to decide on it.... but finally, I decided to go in for a short trip for the purpose of validating the VISA in September, 2013.

The main reason behind this decision was to give myself ample time to prepare myself for the final move next year. Moreover, the initial entry time was too near for me to get myself ready for the permanent move to the new place. I also had some prior commitments which I had to complete before getting myself into Australia permanently.

So, we decided to go in for a short validation trip to Melbourne & get our VISA activated & get back to India. I will be moving permanently after finishing my prior commitments in India by mod next year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Even I'm not sure what I should do. I received grant on 18th November 2013 and wondering about the best thing to do.
My wife and me have very a stable here. We also have a small kid to support along with a house loan.
If we have to permanently then we have to quit our jobs here. And we don't have much idea about the job prospect there (apart from posts on seek).

Approximately how much time do we need to stay in Australia to Validate the Visa and also complete the necessary formalities?

Me details are as below -

ANZSCO: 261314 | IELTS(17.11.12): 7.5 (O) | ACS +ve: 19.03.13 | Vic SS Rec'd: 02.07.13 | Visa Applied: 23.08.13, Grant: 18.11.13| Flying: Not decided when

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll go for good. Even though me and my wife have great jobs here in Brazil the currency discrepancy is too big, and I would make more money in Australia delivering pizza than I do here. Also, plane tickets are really expensive.

Reactions: gtaark
G

·
You only need to pass through immigration. You can then get on the next flight home if you want. There is nothing else you need to do if you do not plan on staying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You only need to pass through immigration. You can then get on the next flight home if you want. There is nothing else you need to do if you do not plan on staying.

If I don't register with Medicare, Centrelink, get drivers license or open Bank Accounts in my first visit, will I be having difficulty in doing the same activities when I return for good?

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I don't register with Medicare, Centrelink, get drivers license or open Bank Accounts in my first visit, will I be having difficulty in doing the same activities when I return for good?
not really. You can do it when you move for good.

Reactions: ad_

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You can't get most of those things on an activation trip anyway because you need to have a permanent residential address to get them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guyz.. Thank you all for your input... We got our Visa in May and our initial entry has to be before May 2014. And like most of you said, we have stable jobs here and a kid to support and all..
I mean for those of you who made the move permanently; have you visited the place before doing so? Or are you going blindly?
Our initial entry has to be before May 2014 and if we move for good, it would be blindly. However, postponing the matter who knows what could happen in a year from now and well I plan to have another kid so then that would just increase responsibilities when there..

So again, those who moved for good; did you do it blindly or had you visited the place before?? And if not, then how did you find it after having moved and started your life there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Move to Australia without first visiting?

Did you visit Australia and validate your visa before making the move for good? Or did you gather your family and moved for good blindly without knowing what to expect there and whether or not the lifestyle and country is right for you?
Why and Why not?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi guyz.. Thank you all for your input... We got our Visa in May and our initial entry has to be before May 2014. And like most of you said, we have stable jobs here and a kid to support and all..
I mean for those of you who made the move permanently; have you visited the place before doing so? Or are you going blindly?
Our initial entry has to be before May 2014 and if we move for good, it would be blindly. However, postponing the matter who knows what could happen in a year from now and well I plan to have another kid so then that would just increase responsibilities when there..

So again, those who moved for good; did you do it blindly or had you visited the place before?? And if not, then how did you find it after having moved and started your life there.
Yeah even i get the jumpies sometimes thinking of the leap of faith to be made :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Though I did visit the country back in 2011 when I decided I would like to move there
lol then its not much a leap of faith :p You should know what to expect and any move is a big move

·
Registered
530 Posts
Depends from person to person. If you're pretty sure, that you'll land up with job then you should move to Aus, else go on a holiday :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
You guys are right, it is a huge leap op faith. But the way I see is this: worst case scenario I have to deliver pizzas or flip burgers...

Earning more than I'm earning here in Brazil, with more security, health and life quality. If after 6 months I can't get a job in IT I just go back to college in Oz.

Of course I already prodded the job market and I think the chances of not getting a job in IT are almost nonexistent. But it can happen. If it does, I am ready for it :).

Reactions: ad_

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had another query in mind. If I(primary applicant) go alone first and then my family joins me later in about 2 months, will there be any issue? Do I need to leave the country and once again enter with them, or my earlier entry can be used to validate their Visa.

Since we have come this far, we certainly have the skills and the required work exp to get jobs in our field there. And we all will sail through the last piece also. Its only a matter of time. I'm just thinking of ways to minimize the risk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good question ad_, I'm also interested in knowing that. I assume it's possible, but I am not sure. Can anyone answer it?

Also, thanks for the encouragement :D.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I had another query in mind. If I(primary applicant) go alone first and then my family joins me later in about 2 months, will there be any issue? Do I need to leave the country and once again enter with them, or my earlier entry can be used to validate their Visa.

Since we have come this far, we certainly have the skills and the required work exp to get jobs in our field there. And we all will sail through the last piece also. Its only a matter of time. I'm just thinking of ways to minimize the risk.
No, they don't need to enter at the same time as you. You can enter before them. They can enter on their own. However, everyone must have entered to activate the visa before the entry date, usually one year from PCCs or medicals, whichever date is first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts