Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assalam O Alaikum,

My name is Hasan and I recently got my Australian immigration in regional sponsorship category, so I will be moving from Dubai to Melbourne by next September 2014. But in this regard I have few questions.

1. I am coming in Mar 2014 for landing, so how many days I should plan so that I can finish all my things to do like TXN, ABN, Bank Account, Medicare etc etc..

2. Where should I stay during my landing trip so that it will be convenient and reasonable (financials) to access these government offices, where I need to get my things done.

3. Where should I look for my permanent residence, means when I move in Sept 2014, where I should look for the residence, keeping school and locality in mind.

Thanking you in advance
Regards,
PakWare.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Assalam O Alaikum,

My name is Hasan and I recently got my Australian immigration in regional sponsorship category, so I will be moving from Dubai to Melbourne by next September 2014. But in this regard I have few questions.

1. I am coming in Mar 2014 for landing, so how many days I should plan so that I can finish all my things to do like TXN, ABN, Bank Account, Medicare etc etc..

2. Where should I stay during my landing trip so that it will be convenient and reasonable (financials) to access these government offices, where I need to get my things done.

3. Where should I look for my permanent residence, means when I move in Sept 2014, where I should look for the residence, keeping school and locality in mind.

Thanking you in advance
Regards,
PakWare.
1. You cannot sign up for Medicare or a TFN unless you are residing in Australia. If you are just coming over to activate your visa, you don't need to sign up for these.

2. CBD would probably be the most convenient.

3. This depends on your budget, if you want to live in an apartment or house, distance from CBD, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. You cannot sign up for Medicare or a TFN unless you are residing in Australia. If you are just coming over to activate your visa, you don't need to sign up for these.

2. CBD would probably be the most convenient.

3. This depends on your budget, if you want to live in an apartment or house, distance from CBD, etc.
1. Confused :(, because lots of blogs and people listed down things to do, while visiting melbourne for landing. and you are saying that I cannot apply for any of these during my first visit, unless I am moving in permanently.

How would they know that what are my plans, if I submit an application for TFN or medicare how would they know that I am permanently moved or leaving a few weeks time.

2. but I heard CBD is expensive, by the way, what is the average price range for 1 / 2 bedroom residence in CBD.

Thanks alot for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
1. Confused :(, because lots of blogs and people listed down things to do, while visiting melbourne for landing. and you are saying that I cannot apply for any of these during my first visit, unless I am moving in permanently.

How would they know that what are my plans, if I submit an application for TFN or medicare how would they know that I am permanently moved or leaving a few weeks time.

2. but I heard CBD is expensive, by the way, what is the average price range for 1 / 2 bedroom residence in CBD.

Thanks alot for your reply.
Why would you need to sign up for Medicare and a TFN if you aren't moving right away? It's not as though you would benefit from Medicare in your home country. Besides, you need a permanent residential address to have your Medicare card and TFN sent to you - normally takes a few weeks. Not something you would be able to obtain on a short validation trip anyway.

Have a look on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for rental prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what exactly I need to do during this first trip? anything in particular? and how long I should be staying there? Is there any requirement or its up to me.

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies and support.

Regards,
PakWare

·
Registered
492 Posts
During my visa validation trip, I just enjoyed my short vacations in Melbourne, visited nearby attractions, and a Sydney trip. You dont have to apply for anything if you are not moving there for good, what is the use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tara ji first of all thank you very much.

so you dont even have to inform DIAC that you have made your first visit.

any recommendations where should i stay in Melbourne.

Regards,
PakWare

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Tara ji first of all thank you very much.

so you dont even have to inform DIAC that you have made your first visit.

any recommendations where should i stay in Melbourne.

Regards,
PakWare
No - your visa is activated electronically when they scan your passport at customs. That's it. You don't even need to stay - you could even hop on the next flight out if you really wanted to.

As a tourist I would recommend staying somewhere central like the CBD so you're close to public transport and all the major attractions.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is it OK, if we open NAB bank account online before the trip and go to bank on our validation trip and get debit card immediately. I hope no issues in that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is it OK, if we open NAB bank account online before the trip and go to bank on our validation trip and get debit card immediately. I hope no issues in that.
absolutely none. That's the safest way. You may as well xfr fund while you are overseas to this AU account and later withdraw once you are in here and validated the accohnt

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
No - it takes about 10 minutes at the bank to get everything set up and get your cards. I would recommend asking for a Visa Debit card instead of just the regular EFTPOS card. There is no additional cost but you can use the card as a credit card when EFTPOS isn't an option (like when you purchase things online for example).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,

How can one transfer funds in NAB account while not in Australia, and is ther any limit on $ amount to carry while going out of Pakistan?

·
Expat
398 Posts
Hi All,

How can one transfer funds in NAB account while not in Australia, and is ther any limit on $ amount to carry while going out of Pakistan?
you will have to ask that from your bank in Pakistan. You will have your NAB bank details so just tell them to make a funds transfer to an Australian bank account. If you carry more than 10 lac you will have to claim it at the airport.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you will have to ask that from your bank in Pakistan. You will have your NAB bank details so just tell them to make a funds transfer to an Australian bank account. If you carry more than 10 lac you will have to claim it at the airport.

Beee, what is meant by claiming it at airport?

I have heard that recently there is a limit of USD 5K that one can carry while going out of pakistan. .. can someone confirm it?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Beee, what is meant by claiming it at airport? I have heard that recently there is a limit of USD 5K that one can carry while going out of pakistan. .. can someone confirm it?
he meant DECLARE. You can carry 5K AUD as cash if you wish and this need not be declared

1 - 20 of 21 Posts