Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone got or know of a cottage/house/ gite WITH over an acre of land to RENT long term?

we're looking to rent this type of property before committing to buying either land to build or property to get the 'real feel' of life in France

the land is for growing veg and keeping animals (pig, goat, chickens)

if you know of such a place or have an agent in mind that deals with this type of 'smallholding' property I'd much appreciate it.

We're not interested in holiday lets or those that let October to May we want a 3 year lease

we dont even mind a place that needs renovations so long as the rent price reflects this.

Any info or ideas most welcome

·
Administrator
50,423 Posts
OK, first of all, you need to change your reference. An acre is something over 4000 m2. Have you considered maybe renting a small place in town and then renting the land in the vicinity but separately?

Where I live (Ile de France, but still kind of semi-rural) most of the farmers in the area live in town and have their farms on the outskirts of town - usually property they inherited from parents or grandparents. I'm not sure what the laws are about renting out farmland type property, but you might have better luck renting accommodation and your agricultural land separately.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
What kind of area of France are you looking in? Here (Auvergne), an acre is hardly more than a back garden, so everywhere except in town pretty much has more land than it knows what to do with - I know I do, but as Bev says, it's not uncommon for serious landowners to live in town or even in small hamlets with tiny gardens, and have their parcelles of land dotted around all over the place. Agricultural land is rentable - I think that's how ADADA get their fields for the donkeys, which seem scattered all over the place. So back to the initial question - where are you intending? What are your other criteria? How good's your French? Have you made plans to sustain yourselves or will you be looking for work? etc etc.

hils

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we are looking in the Abzac area and 50 miles around

No I dont want to live in a town or village with a pokey garden

20250 m2 or more would be fine I was working on the 1 acre (4046.9 m2) I have already as a minimum

And how I intend to make a living is irrelevant to this thread and anybody else

My French is adequate, not totally fluent but better than holiday get by French, yet again totally irrelevant to this thread

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Which Abzac ?

·
Administrator
50,423 Posts
How you intend to make a living may not be anyone's business, but in some area, it may affect your ability to rent or purchase a large tract of land like that. I don't know all the details, but there are restrictions on certain types of "agricultural" land that may mean you have to be registered as a "farmer" to rent or buy the property. (There are definitely building restrictions on agricultural land for which you must be a registered farmer.)

And I know my husband inherited a few small patches of agricultural land where the "rent" is paid based on the crop produced on the land during the season. I gather than the renters actually have to ask the landlord's permission to change crops from one season to the next. (DH got a note one year from one of the serfs, er, I mean tenants, asking his ok to change crops for the coming year.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.