Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question that has been troubling me from a few days.

I am currently on a 457 visa and hence getting LAFHA as a part of my salary which is tax free :D(Leaving Away From Home Allowance).

Do i need to inform my company to stop paying the component as i have applied for 175?
Or do i just pay extra tax during tax filing.

I am not ready to tell my company as they will fire me as they feel they will lose lot of money that i generate for them and also will try to extract money from me.:mad:

So what are the options that i have.:confused:

I asked my agent (175) and he does not know abt it. May be need to speak to a tax agent.

Good thing is that there wont be LAFHA from next year and the extra tax that i need to pay will be less than 200-300AUD.

Please help.

G

·
Once you file for PR you are no longer entitled to LAFHA allowance. Your employer should stop it but it is also your duty to report changes in your tax status. But as from July your LAFHA will stop anyway as it will no longer be available to 457 or other temp visas holders unless they are living away from a home in Australia in order to work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, you should also read your visa. I'm on a 457 and I believe my visa states that I need to inform my employer to changes in my circumstances including applying for another visa. This is my visa I am talking about not my employment contract.
If you don't you could be found in breach of your visa. It may never happen but it's worth a thought.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You need to inform your employer as soon as your status is changed. Otherwise ATO will be knocking your door.

LAFHA will be abolished next financial year for all non citizens anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.