Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has any advice regarding my situation it will be greatly appreciated...I'll try and summarise as briefly as possible ... But it maybe unclear as the situation is complicated.

Currently, I have a contract as an English teacher for a foundation programme ( preparing students for university)... I'm employed by Company A.... company A is part of company B. (My contract is with company B, but states I'm employed to work at company A).

Yesterday, somebody (nobody has taken responsibility) decided to send me on "secondment" to company C. I have received no information about this other than "report to mr X at company C".... I have no idea how long the secondment will last or what the terms of this are.

Working at company C involves teaching grade 10 secondary school students, something I am unqualified and uninterested in doing. So, I said that I would not report for the secondment and instead report to my company as per my contract. I was then informed if I chose to do that I would be fired (company A said company C would fire me)

My question is.... Legally where do I stand? ... Who controls my contract.... And what options do I have?

Thanks

P.s. If you managed to understand the situation... Congratulations!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
What does your Arabic contract say? What is the name of your sponsor? This is something you really need to take to MoL but this is what they will want to know. It could be they are within their rights if it's all the same sponsor but normally even what you were doing in the first place doesn't appear to be quite right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. The name of the sponsor on my visa is company B.... However, as stated I'm now working for company C.

When I raised the issue of sponsorship/visa I think the company implied the "secondment" is a way to avoid transferring sponsorship.... As if they change my visa I would need to agree to that (which I am unwilling to do)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, nice to have an opinion from outside the company (a,b and c!). I suspected that something was not quite right. I'll raise the issue with MoL and the companies tomorrow...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Perhaps call MoL before you speak with your employer. That way, you know everything you are saying to them is totally correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.