Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went to Mercadona today entirely forgetting the bike race was passing through town this afternoon. Came out and noticed that the main road which, at this time of year is always very busy, was empty and that there were hundreds if not thousands of people lining the street many with Spanish flags. Then it dawned. Ok, I thought, I can get out of this so I headed towards the next supermarket where I could take a short cut home but no, the road had been closed by the Guardia. So I headed further along where I encountered and ever so not friendly officer who screamed at me to get off the road and go into the bus station. I did this but then thought if I go the other way I can get to the motorway at the next interchange. But no, another angry officer of the law told me to get off the road. This was difficult as all the side roads were taped off so in the end I simply parked by a taped off road where my car was pressing against the Guardia tapes. I got out and saw a waiter from a restaurant near us which we use. He was with his two sons whom I had never met so we chatted and waited and waited and waited. And then more Guardia Civil motorbikes and cars and Guardia Trafico vehicles than I have ever seen before, maybe 150, went by at some speed followed by medical vehicles followed by big vehicles with bikes on top followed by sports cars sounding their horns and finally followed by the race itself which took nearly 20 seconds to pass by. And then all the tapes were instantly removed by a team of volunteers all wearing special clothes to highlight the fact that they were important and it was over. But I saw it and I guess it was quite impressive. But more impressive is the fact that this stage was 170km and this performance I witnessed would be happening all along this coastal route. I am recording it later tonight to see if I can spot myself. In fact it is only 160.1 kms I have just learned which means I should never trust Eurosport....

Reactions: uora

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Well, went to Mercadona today entirely forgetting the bike race was passing through town this afternoon. Came out and noticed that the main road which, at this time of year is always very busy, was empty and that there were hundreds if not thousands of people lining the street many with Spanish flags. Then it dawned. Ok, I thought, I can get out of this so I headed towards the next supermarket where I could take a short cut home but no, the road had been closed by the Guardia. So I headed further along where I encountered and ever so not friendly officer who screamed at me to get off the road and go into the bus station. I did this but then thought if I go the other way I can get to the motorway at the next interchange. But no, another angry officer of the law told me to get off the road. This was difficult as all the side roads were taped off so in the end I simply parked by a taped off road where my car was pressing against the Guardia tapes. I got out and saw a waiter from a restaurant near us which we use. He was with his two sons whom I had never met so we chatted and waited and waited and waited. And then more Guardia Civil motorbikes and cars and Guardia Trafico vehicles than I have ever seen before, maybe 150, went by at some speed followed by medical vehicles followed by big vehicles with bikes on top followed by sports cars sounding their horns and finally followed by the race itself which took nearly 20 seconds to pass by. And then all the tapes were instantly removed by a team of volunteers all wearing special clothes to highlight the fact that they were important and it was over. But I saw it and I guess it was quite impressive. But more impressive is the fact that this stage was 170km and this performance I witnessed would be happening all along this coastal route. I am recording it later tonight to see if I can spot myself. In fact it is only 160.1 kms I have just learned which means I should never trust Eurosport....
I once saw La Vuelta go through Madrid. I stationed myself near the royal palace and saw a hell of a lot of Guardia Civil, ambulances, back up vehicles, some cyclists that like you I saw for about 20 secs and then loads more vans, ambulances, back up vehicles and assorted cars.
Years later when it literally went past the Urb I did not bother walking the 5 mins I would have had to go to see it pass by...

·
Banned
92 Posts
I have been lucky as to just be able to step out the front door this year to see 1 stage out of the Tour ( babysitted the ex's animals in France ) & in Benidorm last week.

Whilst at work, it is just background noise and some nice scenery if you glance.

Would never travel or follow it around.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
ITV 4 (120) for the edited highlights @ 1900hrs.
Suits me and have learned quite a bit (OK just a little) over the past couple of seasons watching the Tour & Vuelta.
Like any sport I could not watch the whole thing and like many would nod off long before the finish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts