Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in processing of acquiring L1 visa and currently awaiting response from USICS (premium processing). I need to understand the following -

1. What are the steps once USICS is done and what are the expected time of each step?
2. Since, I would be moving in the later half of the year, how tax calculation would happen? I mean I would like to know the tax slab and are there any exceptions that one can avail?
3. As I plan to stay in Jersey city, do I have to still pay state tax?
4. How soon can I get SSN number?
5. Any useful tips to settle down in the new city/country?

Thanks

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
As far as your tax situation goes, it sounds like the tax year 2017 would be a "dual-status" year for you. Start here for more information: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/dual-status-aliens

As far as state tax is concerned, if you will be living in the Tri-State area (around NYC, I'm assuming), then potentially you file state taxes for both the state in which you work and the state in which you reside. The rules vary by state, but it's sort of like having to file taxes in more than one country - some income is exempted, others credited for taxes paid or due elsewhere.

If you're going to be on an L1 visa, you may want to talk to your employer about tax assistance as a part of your expat package - at least for the first year or two. You'll be glad you did.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Intakes about two weeks for your information to pass from point of entry to Social Security office. Go there in person with originals of your visa, passport in hand to apply for a Social Security Card. Currently I hear of two weeks processing times. Employers, banks, ... Can work with you "pending SS#".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts