Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,973 Posts
How is self-defense insane, out of interest?
Perhaps it's the fact that in the USA you are permitted to 'defend yourself' with illegally held semi automatic weapons. Or maybe that unofficial militia groups can be called upon to counter demonstrations against a police shooting. I don't know. You decide.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We would not be here talking about any of this if the governor of Wisconsin had provided the 400 National Guard troops to quell the violence taking place. It is the job of the Wisconsin National Guard to protect the citizens of Wisconsin. But the governor stood down for political reasons and failed to do what the citizens elected him to do. He should be removed from office. Rittenhouse is a hero. His actions saved the lives of many more Wisconsin citizens who are not convicted felons.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Would a French court have come up with the same insane judgement on the Kyle Rittenhouse case that the idiots in Wisconsin did?
The charges would not have been the same, he would have been convicted just for the weapon and would have had extreme difficulty with the defence issue, though it would undoubtedly have taken far longer to go through the courts. No way he would get off 'scott free' I think the term is in English.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,104 Posts
I think he possibly made a bad judgement call - going on the streets during a full blown riot.
However, he was apparently carrying a legally held firearm, it was slinged around his neck and then from the videos that I have seen - he was viciously attacked by rioters.
Had his gun not been on a sling - the rioters were trying and may have succeeded in taking it off him (and possibly shooting him with his own gun).
When attacked, he shot the attackers to defend himself - so I am very happy with the verdict.
The rioters reaped what they sowed!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I remain to be convinced that calling in the National Guard would have made a difference, given it is I believe made up of all sorts of individuals.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I think he possibly made a bad judgement call - going on the streets during a full blown riot.
However, he was apparently carrying a legally held firearm, it was slinged around his neck and then from the videos that I have seen - he was viciously attacked by rioters.
Had his gun not been on a sling - the rioters were trying and may have succeeded in taking it off him (and possibly shooting him with his own gun).
When attacked, he shot the attackers to defend himself - so I am very happy with the verdict.
The rioters reaped what they sowed!
You seem to be some kind of apologist for the outrageous gun laws in certain US states.

·
Super Moderator
7,104 Posts
You seem to be some kind of apologist for the outrageous gun laws in certain US states.
You seem to think you know me!
Why would I apologise for the laws of another country!
In my opinion - he was not guilty.
I already stated that I think he was ill judged (stupid) to go on the streets during a riot.

·
Super Moderator
7,104 Posts
It was just a guess Mr. Solar.....but everything and everyone in their rightful place. No dissent, no demonstrations, no semi-automatic weapons...Shariah law. Not for me but each to their own.
Thankfully it is nothing like that!
I am happy for people to challenge my opinions on the case that we are discussing - but I will not accept personal attacks on me or the place that I choose to currently live and work!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Thankfully it is nothing like that!
I am happy for people to challenge my opinions on the case that we are discussing - but I will not accept personal attacks on me or the place that I choose to currently live and work!
I have to wonder why you chose to comment here in the first place and what kind of reaction you thought you might get here. After all your comments are very provocative did you not expect such responses? That would be a bit hard to believe.

·
Super Moderator
7,104 Posts
I have to wonder why you chose to comment here in the first place and what kind of reaction you thought you might get here. After all your comments are very provocative did you not expect such responses? That would be a bit hard to believe.
I chose to comment on the case in question - rather than the original rhetorical, hypothetical question asked in the original post.
This case would not have happened like this in France - as France does not have the crazy gun laws that somehow allow a 17 year old onto the streets - openly carrying a loaded semi-automatic assault type rifle!
However - within the context of these crazy laws - I still believe the verdict was correct.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts