Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
As far as I know, the answer would be maybe lol! Although they have tried to standardise them across europe, I think the Uk have been more successful than Spain, so I guess it depends on where you got the taps and how standard your plumbing is in Spain ??????? Check the bore sizes on both??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone know if a tap bought in the UK will fit Spanish plumbing?
Hi,

i am a uk plumber living in javea spain, most uk kitchen sink taps will be either 15mm rigid copper tails or half inch flexibles where as hear in spain 99% of taps have three eighths (inch) flexibles, however the uk taps are easily converted as half inch to three eighth adapters are readily available in both rigid fittings and flexible connectors.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

i am a uk plumber living in javea spain, most uk kitchen sink taps will be either 15mm rigid copper tails or half inch flexibles where as hear in spain 99% of taps have three eighths (inch) flexibles, however the uk taps are easily converted as half inch to three eighth adapters are readily available in both rigid fittings and flexible connectors.
That's just what I needed to know, thanks!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Hi,

Good answer!!! erm where are you? it says location in Spain but that you are also expat in NZ.... You are either having a busy commute or you have a very successful split personality...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good answer!!! erm where are you? it says location in Spain but that you are also expat in NZ.... You are either having a busy commute or you have a very successful split personality...
hi Thrax,

Currently living in Javea where we have been for the last eight years or so but looking to another move to NZ , don,t know what happened with the expat nz thing and have tried changing it but does,nt seem to make any difference!

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just love the "Experts" who appear on these forums....:clap2:

Plumbing sizes have been international for at least a lifetime...of course they will fit...ask a Spaniard what "Tres Quatros" is!
Well, funnily enough, the UK supplier I contacted just replied saying exactly what adamkarenjack said ... so long live the Experts!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hi,

sometimes its not that simple. Repairing a neighbour's poolside shower, I found that what I thought was 15mm(1/2" nominable bore copper tube) was actually 14 mm and locally the only fittings available were the the capillary soldered type (I wanted to replace them wiith compression ring fittings, {connex or at a push securex.....if I can remember where my pipe drift is}where the joint would slip rather than rupture the pipe)

I need to replace 2 straight couplings, two elbows and suppose have to braze the shower rose again. All the the other joints that need attention,are in places that require the flexible body of a snake, the patience of a saint, no fear of distrubing hibernating snakes or scorpions or centipedes.....

Is it any wonder I left plumbing... and went to ladies lingerie?

·
Banned
180 Posts
hi Thrax,

Currently living in Javea where we have been for the last eight years or so but looking to another move to NZ , don,t know what happened with the expat nz thing and have tried changing it but does,nt seem to make any difference!
Are you sure there's the work for you? I'd say give Australia a go, that's where many Kiwis are headed at the moment and unemployment is still rising in New Zealand.

Unemployment Rises To 6.7 Per Cent | Stuff.co.nz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you sure there's the work for you? I'd say give Australia a go, that's where many Kiwis are headed at the moment and unemployment is still rising in New Zealand.

Unemployment Rises To 6.7 Per Cent | Stuff.co.nz
hi carosapien,

thanks for the message, no not really sure there is work for me there at the moment, but have a couple of other ideas/options i am still investigating, have been provisionally accepted on wifes job being on the wanted list and will be moving from a country with 25% unemployment!

regards adam

·
Registered
16 Posts
sometimes its not that simple. Repairing a neighbour's poolside shower, I found that what I thought was 15mm(1/2" nominable bore copper tube) was actually 14 mm and locally the only fittings available were the the capillary soldered type (I wanted to replace them wiith compression ring fittings, {connex or at a push securex.....if I can remember where my pipe drift is}where the joint would slip rather than rupture the pipe)

I need to replace 2 straight couplings, two elbows and suppose have to braze the shower rose again. All the the other joints that need attention,are in places that require the flexible body of a snake, the patience of a saint, no fear of distrubing hibernating snakes or scorpions or centipedes.....

Is it any wonder I left plumbing... and went to ladies lingerie?

Think you will find that there is no such thing as 14mm copper pipe in spain and never has been!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I stand corrected, have never seen this anywhere before or 16mm, can,t really see the point but there it is, will take this in to my spanish merchants on monday and get you an apology from them aswell as they told me there was no such thing in domestic pipe sizes in copper and never has been (hence my first reply), can,t you solder a 15mm capillary fitting onto the pipe?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I stand corrected, have never seen this anywhere before or 16mm, can,t really see the point but there it is, will take this in to my spanish merchants on monday and get you an apology from them aswell as they told me there was no such thing in domestic pipe sizes in copper and never has been (hence my first reply), can,t you solder a 15mm capillary fitting onto the pipe?
Why they use it , God only knows ? Swimming pool shower tails is one I've seen it on. The Italians are even worse. All refrigeration pipework is imperial the world over as it's dictated by the American market. The Italians build there commercial equipment with metric piping & supply metric to imperial adaptors !!:confused2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why they use it , God only knows ? Swimming pool shower tails is one I've seen it on. The Italians are even worse. All refrigeration pipework is imperial the world over as it's dictated by the American market. The Italians build there commercial equipment with metric piping & supply metric to imperial adaptors !!:confused2:
Hi gus-lopez
thanks for the reply, at the risk of turning this into a plumbing forum (but i am really genuinely interested to know) i have seen internal pipework in non standard sizes internally on manufactured appliances etc. i.e. boilers ,water heaters etc. the point i was trying to make from the origanal post was that i have never seen a domestic pipework installation in spain i.e. hot or cold water supply ran in 14mm or 16mm copper pipe, are you saying you have? the point being that whatever tap tails were connected to the tap (in the origanal post) would be of a standard adaptable size, i also probably wrongly assumed that the guy in the other post was referring to a piped outside shower as opposed to a manufactured shower unit.
p.s. iam still willing to purchase a large slice of humble pie and/or a hat and eat both if necessary.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts