Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking into kitchen redesign and the question of appliances comes up.

The first designer has come up with a good plan that includes Brandt oven, microwave and gas hob. All I can find out is that it's a brand made in France but owned (perhaps) by a Spanish company. Is Brandt any good?

We had some Bosch appliances in the US so I'd be comfortable with that but I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions regarding appliance brands available in France.

·
Administrator
50,385 Posts
Take a look at the Wikipedia article on Brandt. It's a long-established appliance maker here in France and its brands include some well-known brands here. They've had some problems and have been sold and merged a few times in recent years, but I think the brands are generally well considered here. (Obviously, there is a move on to "buy French" so the kitchen designers like to promote French brands.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Take a look at the Wikipedia article on Brandt. It's a long-established appliance maker here in France and its brands include some well-known brands here. They've had some problems and have been sold and merged a few times in recent years, but I think the brands are generally well considered here. (Obviously, there is a move on to "buy French" so the kitchen designers like to promote French brands.)
Cheers,
Bev
But I think they are made in China ;) There is a workaround to be called 'made in France' by just screwing the door on or something like that when it arrives from China.

Just look through the reviews on appliances that you are interested in on the darty/boulanger websites and see what people say. White furniture tends all to be all throw away these days anyway. If it goes wrong it will be cheaper to buy a new one. Trust Smeg as in Smeg lol.

We had an IKEA dishwasher (not ours) at our rented flat in Paris and is was truly brilliant. I think it is made by Phillips. The Ikea hob though was truly cr&p.

Not sure I would go for a gas hob. I think induction is a much better choice.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,749 Posts
But I think they are made in China ;) There is a workaround to be called 'made in France' by just screwing the door on or something like that when it arrives from China.

Just look through the reviews on appliances that you are interested in on the darty/boulanger websites and see what people say. White furniture tends all to be all throw away these days anyway. If it goes wrong it will be cheaper to buy a new one. Trust Smeg as in Smeg lol.

We had an IKEA dishwasher (not ours) at our rented flat in Paris and is was truly brilliant. I think it is made by Phillips. The Ikea hob though was truly cr&p.

Not sure I would go for a gas hob. I think induction is a much better choice.
Trust Smeg as in Smeagol perhaps. Not so much a troll more of a gollum. Or dobby the house elf.

I was sold a washine machine in our local electric village electric store by Haier. German i think and much cheaper than Bosch or Meier. Been going over a couple of years now without a glitch.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Trust Smeg as in Smeagol perhaps. Not so much a troll more of a gollum. Or dobby the house elf.

I was sold a washine machine in our local electric village electric store by Haier. German i think and much cheaper than Bosch or Meier. Been going over a couple of years now without a glitch.
That made me LOL Cocky 2...or is Laugh out Loud for you oldy types.

Our washing machine broke on a Saturday years back and we needed one very quickly so we went to Darty and Boulanger etc. They could not delver (any brand) until the following week.

We went to a local Portuguese electromeneger type shop and they had a 'gorenje' (ever heard of them ???) in the shop...which was the cheapest in our budget....300 euros ish We bought it and it was installed the same day.

It is still going strong 7 years later. Weighs a tonne....but it is brilliant. I think it comes from Slovakia. :) I said to Mrs Smeg that will outlast a Nuclear war.

So, washing machine....gorenje.....I think I spelt that correctly. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought a HAIER central air con unit for our house in Texas around 10 yrs ago - good stuff!

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,749 Posts
I bought a HAIER central air con unit for our house in Texas around 10 yrs ago - good stuff!
Cool (see what i did there?). After more research Haier is and has been for some time chinese, allegedly the worlds largest seller of white goods. It was at one time partnered with Leibherr ( swiss not italian) from which it derived its germanic name.....

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
We're looking into kitchen redesign and the question of appliances comes up.

The first designer has come up with a good plan that includes Brandt oven, microwave and gas hob. All I can find out is that it's a brand made in France but owned (perhaps) by a Spanish company. Is Brandt any good?

We had some Bosch appliances in the US so I'd be comfortable with that but I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions regarding appliance brands available in France.
Brandt is fine, Haier is fine, Faure is fine, Bosch is good. If you are including a washing machine, don't go for Miele as they are the heaviest on the market.

Most kitchen companies will install other brands for you, as long as you provide them with the precise specifications (the earlier the better).

·
Administrator
50,385 Posts
I like the idea of checking the "review" comments on a site like Darty or Amazon. Sure, there are lots of troll reviews - both for and against. But what I like to do is to read the negative (one and two star) reviews to see precisely what people are griping about. Many of them are clearly vendor issues (delivered late, badly installed, etc.), while others may point out more substantive issues.

And, there is always the possibility that you could get a dud machine in what is otherwise a reasonable line. Oh, and most everything these days seems to be made in China, or Poland, or Hungary... or wherever.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,305 Posts
We're looking into kitchen redesign and the question of appliances comes up....
We have learned one important lesson in buying appliances: For anything large (fridge, washer, dryer, etc., buy it locally. Our 2 year old washer just stopped one day. The appliance store in the village has its own repair crew (vs waiting for the manufacturer’s team) and they were at the house the same day. The main board in the dryer had been damaged in a lightning storm due to a surge. They ordered a new one, it arrived a couple of days later, and they installed it. Been running fine since. Our local shop also installed our new oven including cutting the plug off the old oven and splicing it into the cord of the new one (ovens don’t always come with plugs! Who knew!?!). Then they took away the huge box and all the styrofoam!

Small appliances like blenders, toasters, etc. we’ve bought online at Amazon.com or CDiscount and had very good luck with them.

We have a variety of brands that we quite like:
  • Fridge: Haier. Quite tall yet narrow, bottom freezer. Good fit for a small space.
  • Cook Top & Oven: Bosch - Induction cook top and the entire oven slides out instead of having a door that opens due to a space issue. Love the induction top.
  • Dishwasher: Bosch - stainless steel interior, smaller than normal size due to lack of space and a bit more expensive, as a result. Cleans very well.
  • Washing Machine: Electrolux - energy efficient.
  • Dryer: AEG - Pomp Chaleur. Works as fast as a hot air dryer but uses the same principle as air conditioning in reverse rather than hot air. As a result, it’s extremely energy efficient! We followed the recommendation of our appliance store to get a Pomp Chaleur system, about which we knew nothing at that time. One of the best things we’ve done.
  • Air Conditioning / Heating: General. A work horse system. Works great.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We have learned one important lesson in buying appliances: For anything large (fridge, washer, dryer, etc., buy it locally.
I agree, always patronise your local store. In order to attract, and keep, your custom, they will go the extra mile such as deliver and install asap, maintain promptly when necessary and generally give good service; if they don't, they know that word will quickly get around and they will lose business and go bust, unlike larger stores who take the point of view that lose one customer, there'll be another one along shortly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have a variety of brands that we quite like:
  • Fridge: Haier. Quite tall yet narrow, bottom freezer. Good fit for a small space.
  • Cook Top & Oven: Bosch - Induction cook top and the entire oven slides out instead of having a door that opens due to a space issue. Love the induction top.
  • Dishwasher: Bosch - stainless steel interior, smaller than normal size due to lack of space and a bit more expensive, as a result. Cleans very well.
  • Washing Machine: Electrolux - energy efficient.
  • Dryer: AEG - Pomp Chaleur. Works as fast as a hot air dryer but uses the same principle as air conditioning in reverse rather than hot air. As a result, it’s extremely energy efficient! We followed the recommendation of our appliance store to get a Pomp Chaleur system, about which we knew nothing at that time. One of the best things we’ve done.
  • Air Conditioning / Heating: General. A work horse system. Works great.
So far it looks like Samsung for the Washer/Dryer, Fridge/Freezer and TV. Brandt for the Microwave and Oven, and DeDietrich for the cook top. Not set in stone though and things may change before the design is finalized.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts