·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 below expected.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
It's a little better tonight in Lancashire, around 3C. Last night it was -4C brrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
You lot don't know what cold is!!;)
When we first left the UK over five years ago we went to a country where thick snow had covered everywhere from late October and it didn't finally disappear until early April. The coldest I can remember that winter was -17C without windchill. You couldn't go out without hat, gloves, very warm coat and a scarf covering your face so only your eyes were visible. It was a bit as if you were wearing a burkha.
Yet trains, planes, buses, trams kept running.
At first I loved it -well, it was a novelty -but that soon wore off and it became rather tedious. When all that snow began to thaw the mud everywhere was horrendous. I kept peering at branches looking for buds.
And yet, oddly, I never felt really cold as houses were really well heated and insulated and you wore suitable clothing outside.
I felt colder in the UK when it was only 1 or 2C as it was a damp kind of cold unlike the sharp dry cold I'd acclimatised to.
So we don't light our log fire here in Spain until late afternoon and only heat the bedroom for late-night tv watching and the bathrooms for a short period before use each day.
So far.........;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
When we first left the UK over five years ago we went to a country where thick snow had covered everywhere from late October and it didn't finally disappear until early April. The coldest I can remember that winter was -17C without windchill. You couldn't go out without hat, gloves, very warm coat and a scarf covering your face so only your eyes were visible. It was a bit as if you were wearing a burkha.
At first I loved it -well, it was a novelty -but that soon wore off and it became rather tedious. When all that snow began to thaw the mud everywhere was horrendous. I kept peering at branches looking for buds.
And yet, oddly, I never felt really cold as houses were really well heated and insulated and you wore suitable clothing outside.
I felt colder in the UK when it was only 1 or 2C as it was a damp kind of cold unlike the sharp dry cold I'd acclimatised to.
So we don't light our log fire here in Spain until late afternoon and only heat the bedroom for late-night tv watching and the bathrooms for a short period before use each day.
So far.........;)
I have the warmth of Mrs H to keep me warm. She's outside chopping logs now and , when she can fit it in she says she will clean the chimney. After I have finished watching footy on TV she's gonna run me a hot bath, and then...well, who knows ????;)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I have the warmth of Mrs H to keep me warm. She's outside chopping logs now and , when she can fit it in she says she will clean the chimney. After I have finished watching footy on TV she's gonna run me a hot bath, and then...well, who knows ????;)
Cocoa????

Are you going to watch Chelsea?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cocoa????

Are you going to watch Chelsea?
Yes...if I can manage to tear myself away...God !!...decisions...West Ham v Chelsea or Mrs H with sooty hands and a hot bath.....hmmmmmmm.......

·
Registered
868 Posts
....;)
In the past year I have experianced -33C in Ekateringburg, Russia and also +50C Jebal Ali, UAE and everything still operated just the same as any other day of the year...........

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
In the past year I have experianced -33C in Ekateringburg, Russia and also +50C Jebal Ali, UAE and everything still operated just the same as any other day of the year...........
When you're talking about those temperatures I'm quite happy for things not to work and to stay at home.
A few years ago (I think it was 2003) I cut my finger badly and had to go and have it dressed every day at the medical centre. The appointment was at 4:00 in the afternoon in August. On the second day I got in the car and it said 48º!! Wouldn't it have been better for the health centre to close until 6:00 for example than to have patients wandering the streets in a heat haze???
I changed the appointment for 7:00 in the evening when the temp was a mere 38º:)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Was woken up at 6:15 by OH saying "Ha nevado, vas a ir????" (It's snowed, are you going?)
The answer was a big fat NO!!
:smow::whoo:

Back to bed!!
You're lucky! I really want some snow!! Just heavy rain here - predicted for the next few days...my parents emailed me some photos of where they live in Kent, a beautiful wintry scene (nice if you don't have to go out in it, admittedly) and we're all jealous...just hope it doesn't interfere with their flights out here on the 28th. Snow in Lugo though (next province over) if we fancy the 2 hour drive - they've had it for a while now.:love:

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I guess the reason that the UK is so ill-prepared is that such severe weather doesn't occur often enough to make investment in the equipment needed to keep things moving profitable.
Once when about to land at Montreal's Dorval airport in February I was taken aback to see beneath the slowly-descending 747 snowploughs clearing the runway ahead!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have you noticed how expensive tomatoes are ??

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Minus 8 tonight - was minus 18 last week. My car is "parked" (more accurately, abandoned) in a snow drift and we have just tractored the 4x4 of my hostess out of a ditch. Only 4 more months of sub zeros to go for them here on the Swedish/Norwegian border.

Every cloud has a silver, Nothing is so bad that it's not good for something (as they say here) I can now walk to Norway over the frozen fjord (4 kms) and not have a 17 km drive to the frontier!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.