Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much information out there helping people emigrating. Lttle amongst it about how to make it easier for their family to adjust to the enormous distance between UK and eg Australia.

Here are a few thoughts::

- Discuss beforehand how you are going to keep in touch and when. Remember that the time window is small so make the best use of it. Skype won’t work at Christmas or necessarily at other peak times, plan it differently. Skype does seem to be more stable with direct connection through internet enabled TV/DVD players than PCs.

- A planned vist out helps, also makes it easier when you can see and experience what your son/daughter is talking about.

- Cards and gifts take on a new significance as a source of contact – they reflect thought.

- The new country may not have all the answers – it can come across to those in the UK that everything is brilliant in the new country but life is not as straightforward as that

- it can take the family in the UK a long time to get used to having someone so far away.

Anyone have any more thoughts?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes, also, does anyone here know if the Android's Tango application works well overseas? How about the iPhone's face to face? And what do they charge? Does it take up a lot of Gigs?

I live in the northeast US but have family in the Southwest, and Tango works like magic. I am able to speak face to face by video to my family with no sort of problems at all on my Android phone. I have also seen my coworkers use the iPhone's "face to face" app and it also works very well for them.

So I'm wondering if these applications also work but on an overseas basis and if so, are they expensive - meaning consuming many gigs and running up the phone bill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The most obvious thing I can think of is Skype! Personally I feel as though I would probably speak more to family if I were living in aus as I would being here in the uk with them!

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The most obvious thing I can think of is Skype! Personally I feel as though I would probably speak more to family if I were living in aus as I would being here in the uk with them!
I also use Skype to speak to family back home.

I would agree with you that you will probably speak to family more often. I used to Skype my mum once a week but since moving to Oz, I'm normally on Skype a few times a week and on the days that I do not Skype, then at the very least, I send a text.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Skype has made moving to Oz so much easier, I can't imagine having moved without it! The iPhone face to face is also really good as you can use this for a quick call from phone to phone, but has to be over wifi. iMessage is also a great thing as you don't get charged the expensive overseas txt rates. I also use Skype on my phone to call my parents house over the 3G network which is really good as I can do that from anywhere.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Skype is a godsend!! My kids love speaking to their great nan and grandparents on there. Id also say facebook too, to share videos and photos is fantastic.
My nan was a complete technophobe before we moved bit she's now become a bit of a whiz and has even started using text speak haha she's so proud of herself!!!
It's very true that you speak to people more when you move, funny really but I think it helps you feel as though your still around.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So much information out there helping people emigrating. Lttle amongst it about how to make it easier for their family to adjust to the enormous distance between UK and eg Australia.

Here are a few thoughts::

- Discuss beforehand how you are going to keep in touch and when. Remember that the time window is small so make the best use of it. Skype won’t work at Christmas or necessarily at other peak times, plan it differently. Skype does seem to be more stable with direct connection through internet enabled TV/DVD players than PCs.

- A planned vist out helps, also makes it easier when you can see and experience what your son/daughter is talking about.

- Cards and gifts take on a new significance as a source of contact – they reflect thought.

- The new country may not have all the answers – it can come across to those in the UK that everything is brilliant in the new country but life is not as straightforward as that

- it can take the family in the UK a long time to get used to having someone so far away.

Anyone have any more thoughts?

We use the Apple Facetime App to communicate with our loved ones overseas. We're using WIFI, therefore affordable and its as good as Skype.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.