Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Dubai in 2 months and I will be working in Media City. I was not planning on getting a car since most of my co-workers advise living in a Marina tower. I however am 20 years older then they are and I like to sit out with my pipe so I worry about smoking rules on high rise balconies. I don't smoke in the house but I like to sit out an work with a pipe.I will also be bringing cats so that is a factor in housing. I will not have the budget for a large villa but I could swing a 1 br townhouse like I saw in JVT ( I assume this would require getting a car )

Questions

1. Does anyone have any experience with smoking rules on Marina balconies?
2. Is JVT worth looking at and are there any public transport options to Media city ?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
There's probably rules regarding fire prevention, most of them will be totally ignored and there seems to be a blaze every year.

Not 100% sure but JVT would probably require a car. Taxi's could be an option, at a guess 50-60 AED per trip - 600 AED per week, which is about the same as the cheapest car hire. Are you on flexi time though? Hessa Street (the road you'd be using) can drop to a standstill at peak hours.

With regards to the cats, I'd look at as much space inside for them rather than a garden or letting them wander. Animal cruelty is fairly rife and what little laws are in place are rarely enforced.

You may be able to get a small 2BD in The Springs which is halfway between JVT and Media City, it'll come with a yard and as a westernised gated community, it's more used to pets.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Mr Rossi ,

The cats never go outside , I was just thinking space as they are used to 1200sq ft. or more.

I think I may be doing the Marina for the first year and then I can decide if it is tolerable - I can always get a car and move when the lease is up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts