Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving to the UK & so excited.

My husband's company is doing a intra-company transfer to the London area where they have an office. Things are moving forward very quickly. He is leaving tomorrow to the UK to get started on the new job. He will be back & forth between the US & UK until we officially move. Not sure how much he will be able to travel over there closer to the olympics so we shall see how that plays out. Our timeline right now is to move over after the Olympics in August. It will be a 2-4 year assignment.

We have just started with research on what we need to do. We have the information on moving our cat & have that process started. We know how much the housing stipend & car allowance will be. We haven't determined exactly what area we want to settle yet but have started to look online at places to lease.

This is our first time to move out of the US so we are completely clueless. Thank goodness for the internet & forums like this. We have perused the forums for information so far but I am sure you will see lots of questions from us as we work through this process.

I can't tell you how excited we are. We absolutely love London, the UK and pretty much everything we have seen in Europe so far. Can't wait to get over there & dive right in to the culture. We want to experience all we can during our time over the pond.

:love:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
When I realised I was going to be living in the UK (2010), I found the info and links on this page to be extremely helpful with preparations:

United Kingdom and Gibraltar (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland)

Look on the left hand side nav menu for the 'living abroad' link, that too has some fantastic info for people coming over for long-term residency.

Also, on the US Embassy-London website, there is a pdf that I found so valuable I printed it out and put it in a binder for easy reference:

Living in the UK | Embassy of the United States London, UK

Welcome to the forum! Is your husband's company also sponsoring your visa?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I realised I was going to be living in the UK (2010), I found the info and links on this page to be extremely helpful with preparations:

Look on the left hand side nav menu for the 'living abroad' link, that too has some fantastic info for people coming over for long-term residency.

Also, on the US Embassy-London website, there is a pdf that I found so valuable I printed it out and put it in a binder for easy reference:

Welcome to the forum! Is your husband's company also sponsoring your visa?
Yes- my husband's company is sponsoring my visa. The only work I do is volunteer & take care of my husband of course & plan to continue those things after we move so I won't be seeking employment of my own. The financial package is sufficient to cover the maintenance requirement for me.

I am so excited I can't sleep. He is well on his way over there now due to arrive in a few hours. I can't wait until I can get over there to start looking for a place to live.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yes- my husband's company is sponsoring my visa. The only work I do is volunteer & take care of my husband of course & plan to continue those things after we move so I won't be seeking employment of my own. The financial package is sufficient to cover the maintenance requirement for me.

I am so excited I can't sleep. He is well on his way over there now due to arrive in a few hours. I can't wait until I can get over there to start looking for a place to live.
Enjoy your time in the UK:) It's great that the company is sponsoring your visa as well, that will take a lot of the burden off of you!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enjoy your time in the UK:) It's great that the company is sponsoring your visa as well, that will take a lot of the burden off of you!
I know there is a lot to do to prepare for the move. I am very thankful for the timing of the olympics. It will force my husband to have to come home to help me pack things up & put them in storage. There won't be any work to be done in the UK office during that time so there will be no point in him being over there during that time.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I know there is a lot to do to prepare for the move. I am very thankful for the timing of the olympics. It will force my husband to have to come home to help me pack things up & put them in storage. There won't be any work to be done in the UK office during that time so there will be no point in him being over there during that time.
Oh that's extra nice! When I was married to a USSD contractor, it always seemed he 'had' to be 'over there' when it came time to close down the US house. I became quite good at all of that.

Btw, your profile flags=a US expat in Australia-are you heading for Oz after the UK? Your location says Dallas-how's the Texas spring shaping up? We lived near Houston for a year or two back in the late 70s and travelled all over TX in early spring, just wonderful weather!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh that's extra nice! When I was married to a USSD contractor, it always seemed he 'had' to be 'over there' when it came time to close down the US house. I became quite good at all of that.

Btw, your profile flags=a US expat in Australia-are you heading for Oz after the UK? Your location says Dallas-how's the Texas spring shaping up? We lived near Houston for a year or two back in the late 70s and travelled all over TX in early spring, just wonderful weather!
We did not know originally if he would be sent to the EMEA region or APAC so we were asked to consider Sydney (which I absolutely love), Singapore or London. London was finally chosen. When I registered for the forum I had to pick one so I just picked Australia. Now it won't let me change it until my account has been unlocked. There is discussion about moving us on to APAC after EMEA which we are open to. Our kids are grown so there is nothing stopping us!

Dallas is already hitting summer temperatures in the 90's with high humidity. I really don't mind it but everyone else is moaning about it already being hot. We have had some scary weather already with one day having 17 tornadoes in the area. Thankfully we were not hit but there were a lot of people that were.

Our families are already talking about escaping the heat of the summers to visit us in the UK which is fine with me. The more the merrier!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I was in the States last year during the incredible April outbreak, I'll never forget the horror of those tornadoes sweeping east from TX. My son lives in Dothan, AL, and we were really shocked when the devastation hit AL. I miss my son and grandson, but after Hurricane Ivan in '04, and then of course Katrina in '05, I could not take it anymore, and moved up to NW GA. Spring in the US South is wonderful but can be absolutely terrifying.

Lol, I left Atlanta in mid-August 2010, 100+F and as humid as only a Southern dog day afternoon can be. I arrived in Edinburgh and immediately started digging through my carry-on for the cardi I threw in just in case:) I went back to the US in late Feb 2011 and was there until the middle of June-couldn't wait to get back to the lovely coolness of the UK!

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Our families are already talking about escaping the heat of the summers to visit us in the UK which is fine with me. The more the merrier!
Granted, London doesn't get as hot as Dallas by a long shot, but keep in mind not much is air conditioned either. When it does get hot, and you've ridden an un-air conditioned bus or tube all day only to come home to your un-air conditioned flat, well, yuck!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My husband could not live without air-conditioning & I cannot live without heat so we will have to make sure our place has both.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
My husband could not live without air-conditioning & I cannot live without heat so we will have to make sure our place has both.
Your chances of finding an air conditioned flat are infinitesimal so you should think about getting a portable air conditioner. We have one and have used it for at least a couple of weeks every summer since we've been here in London.

Heat won't be an issue. Make sure that you look for radiators with thermostats so that you can control the heat.

Water pressure can be a little low so run showers and taps to make sure it's adequate.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your chances of finding an air conditioned flat are infinitesimal so you should think about getting a portable air conditioner. We have one and have used it for at least a couple of weeks every summer since we've been here in London.

Heat won't be an issue. Make sure that you look for radiators with thermostats so that you can control the heat.

Water pressure can be a little low so run showers and taps to make sure it's adequate.
Thanks for the tip on the ac! Looking online at places to live does not prepare you for the actual realities of living in them. My husband spent a semester at oxford and he was shocked at the 'monk cell' housing he had during his stay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.