Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So I'm pretty sure this is going to be a long-running, long-winded thread, if you all don't mind. We won't be officially applying for our fiancee visa until sometime next spring, but we're currently trying to gather as much information as possible well ahead of time. Sorry for the novel I'm about to write, but I feel I should give you as much info as possible before asking questions!

--------

The backstory: I'm American with Canadian permanent residency, and my boyfriend is a British citizen since birth. He and I have known each other for thirteen years, since April 2002, and have been best friends for much of that time. We have been in a relationship since September 2014. I'm currently staying with him in the UK for the spring and summer; we've met twice before, once in 2013 and once in 2014, and were together for a little over two weeks each time.

In 2013, he visited me in Canada. In 2014, we met in London. We were there for three days, then were off to Switzerland for nearly two weeks before coming back to London for another three days, after which he took the train home and I flew back to Canada. My passport only contains stamps; no visas.

I'm currently separated from my Canadian husband, and due to Ontario law I can't apply for divorce for another couple of months. The divorce will be joint, no-fault, so it should take 4-6 months to complete. Then I have to wait a month after the divorce is finalized before I can request the divorce certificate.

I fear that I will look quite suspicious to Immigration, since I moved to Canada to be with someone and the relationship failed, and now I'm trying to get into the UK to be with someone. It's not like I can explain that the previous relationship was a huge mistake, big life lessons learned, et cetera. :(

My boyfriend is currently helping me out financially, and he makes well over the minimum financial requirement as my sponsor.

He lives with his family, two parents and two siblings, in a large four-bedroom house. The house has twelve rooms in total, including two full bathrooms and one half bath. I understand that we have to get the house inspected to make sure it's not overcrowded, and I don't think it's going to be a problem. We are hesitant to rent or buy something of our own right now until I'm here officially, if that makes any sense.
So, here are my questions thus far. I know I will think of TONS more, even as I peruse the forums as much as I can, so please bear with me, haha!

1. Will I need a TB test?

2. Does anyone have a template for the introduction letters or otherwise advice on how to word them correctly? What all should I include? Should we be putting in the full history of our relationship in the introduction letters, or should all that be in some kind of supplemental answer sheets?

3. I paid outright for dental treatment here in the UK. Is this okay?

4. How, exactly, do I prove my boyfriend is helping support me? Do I need any proof of my current residency or anything like that? I rent a small flat with two other low-income women and it's under one or both of their names, but not mine. I'm going to attempt to find a full-time job when I get back to Canada, but no guarantees there because of the economy and my terrible lack of experience.

5. I plan on putting two photos per A4 size page, along with dates; 10-15 photos in total. Anything else I should add?

6. Neither of us have any chat log info prior to last year, but our relationship didn't begin until then anyway. We don't have any of the logs because we've gone through so many computers since 2002, haha, but I suppose immigration won't care much about the friendship aspect prior to our romantic relationship?

Sorry for the huge novel, everyone, but getting all this out gives me huge peace of mind if these things can be addressed sooner than later. Thanks so much for any and all help, commentary, etc. And you all get a fine treat for reading through all my nonsense!!

:peace: :tea:

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
You don't need to show that he supports you, he just needs to prove that he can sponsor you for the visas and he does that by providing payslips, bank statements, employment letter, contract etc etc. Also accommodation.

You need to get your divorce final.

Since you are applying for a fiance visa you also should show evidence of arranging/organising a marriage ceremony.

Your lack of job experience is irrelevant.

No you don't need a TB test.

There is no template for introduction letters - everyone's application is different.

Reactions: AnOceanApart

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Hi everyone!

So I'm pretty sure this is going to be a long-running, long-winded thread, if you all don't mind. We won't be officially applying for our fiancee visa until sometime next spring, but we're currently trying to gather as much information as possible well ahead of time. Sorry for the novel I'm about to write, but I feel I should give you as much info as possible before asking questions!

--------

The backstory: I'm American with Canadian permanent residency, and my boyfriend is a British citizen since birth. He and I have known each other for thirteen years, since April 2002, and have been best friends for much of that time. We have been in a relationship since September 2014. I'm currently staying with him in the UK for the spring and summer; we've met twice before, once in 2013 and once in 2014, and were together for a little over two weeks each time.

In 2013, he visited me in Canada. In 2014, we met in London. We were there for three days, then were off to Switzerland for nearly two weeks before coming back to London for another three days, after which he took the train home and I flew back to Canada. My passport only contains stamps; no visas.

I'm currently separated from my Canadian husband, and due to Ontario law I can't apply for divorce for another couple of months. The divorce will be joint, no-fault, so it should take 4-6 months to complete. Then I have to wait a month after the divorce is finalized before I can request the divorce certificate.

I fear that I will look quite suspicious to Immigration, since I moved to Canada to be with someone and the relationship failed, and now I'm trying to get into the UK to be with someone. It's not like I can explain that the previous relationship was a huge mistake, big life lessons learned, et cetera. :(

My boyfriend is currently helping me out financially, and he makes well over the minimum financial requirement as my sponsor.

He lives with his family, two parents and two siblings, in a large four-bedroom house. The house has twelve rooms in total, including two full bathrooms and one half bath. I understand that we have to get the house inspected to make sure it's not overcrowded, and I don't think it's going to be a problem. We are hesitant to rent or buy something of our own right now until I'm here officially, if that makes any sense.
So, here are my questions thus far. I know I will think of TONS more, even as I peruse the forums as much as I can, so please bear with me, haha!

1. Will I need a TB test?
No

2. Does anyone have a template for the introduction letters or otherwise advice on how to word them correctly? What all should I include? Should we be putting in the full history of our relationship in the introduction letters, or should all that be in some kind of supplemental answer sheets?
You outline your relationship in non-emotional terms, common interests and plans for the future. Keep it short and just the facts. Each in your own words.

3. I paid outright for dental treatment here in the UK. Is this okay?
Yes.
4. How, exactly, do I prove my boyfriend is helping support me? Do I need any proof of my current residency or anything like that? I rent a small flat with two other low-income women and it's under one or both of their names, but not mine. I'm going to attempt to find a full-time job when I get back to Canada, but no guarantees there because of the economy and my terrible lack of experience.
There is no requirement that he support you so no need to prove it.

5. I plan on putting two photos per A4 size page, along with dates; 10-15 photos in total. Anything else I should add?
Brief description and date.

6. Neither of us have any chat log info prior to last year, but our relationship didn't begin until then anyway. We don't have any of the logs because we've gone through so many computers since 2002, haha, but I suppose immigration won't care much about the friendship aspect prior to our romantic relationship?
You need to prove that you have kept in touch during your relationship.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks so much, Crawford and Nyclon :) This information is invaluable to us!

So just to clarify, we should be providing proof of how we keep in touch in our current relationship? Will it matter if we don't have this proof from before we were in a relationship and were just friends?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought so :) Thank you very much, Salix.

I'm currently reading through this forum and making tons of notes, making a draft applicant letter, getting logs of our Viber and Skype chats prior to our current visit with each other. I think it's good to get started early, even though we won't be able to apply until spring 2016. I understand that we need 1-2 pages of chat logs per 3-6 months of our being apart, and I think I can manage that. However, I'll probably be asking for a review of how it looks :)

I really, really love this forum. It's already given me a lot of peace of mind and even though I'm still extremely anxious, I know that can't be helped because immigration just isn't a fun process, no matter what. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah, I just thought of something.

So we don't have receipts of Christmas gifts last year or his birthday gift this year. Is that going to be a problem? We'll make sure we save receipts from here on out.

ETA: Actually, evidence of his Christmas gift to me will show up on his past Amazon.co.uk orders, at least...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent :) Thanks for all your help so far. You are all lifesavers!

So I want to ask something else. I came over to visit for two weeks, because that's how long I'd planned to stay. I received the typical 6 month stamp in my passport, and my boyfriend and I decided several days later that we'd make the visit longer. I am definitely leaving before the 6 months are up, but it still sounds like we deceived the border guard when we absolutely did not, as I'd planned on just staying the two weeks when we spoke to her.

She was a lovely and helpful border guard who asked about our relationship and seemed satisfied, and asked if I was visiting anywhere else in Europe during my trip (nope). She didn't look at my return flight ticket and she gave me the 6 month stamp.

Should I be up front and explain this in the application, since I assume they're going to be checking with the border agency when it comes to our visits to one another? I don't want to *not* say anything and make them think I'm trying to hide stuff from them.

I feel it's better to know this now so if there's the possibility I'll get denied entry on the fiance visa, we can go ahead and start making plans for my boyfriend to move to Canada instead. :(

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
How much longer are you intending to stay?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We were thinking sometime in August.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
When did you arrive in the UK?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I arrived in March :)

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
So a nearly 5 month stay......... quite a difference to the two week vacation you had "intended" when you arrived,

Sorry for the quotation marks, but who just decides to extend their 2 week stay to nearly 5 months?

As you have said in earlier posts, your boyfriend supports you, so it looks as though you had every intention of staying for as long as possible.

Will this be held against you - who knows? are you feeling lucky?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yeah, I don't think they'll believe you didn't intend to stay that long from the beginning and were just deceptive.

I know if I'm going on a two week trip or a five month trip, it's a whole different preparation, clothes packed, shutting off mail, making arrangements for my home, etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I live with two other women, so I didn't need to shut off my mail or anything like that. I definitely didn't come prepared to stay for so long. We honestly didn't think it would be an issue, that it was a good adventure that was getting us good time spent together, and obviously that was the wrong thing to do.

I can only assure you, members of this forum, that I did not have deceitful intentions. I know now that I won't be able to convince UK immigration of that, but I can at least attempt to tell you who are reading this. If I was being deceitful, I wouldn't have bothered bringing this up. I only asked for advice.

So that's it, then. Should we even try applying for a fiance visa next year? I'm assuming the answer is no, that they're going to reject me right off and ban me from entering for ten years.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It might have been better if you had popped over to the continent for a quick trip, and then came back and said how long you were staying further so that there was no deception... this for the benefit of anyone else reading this who is contemplating staying longer than they said to the immigration officer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I really wish I had found this forum before I came to visit. I had read a couple others who had come here on a short visit and cancelled their plane tickets to stay longer, but now I don't think we should risk it if they're just going to reject me outright.

Thank you to everyone who has commented. I guess it's time to abandon all hope of being able to move here, so my life plans will now have to concentrate elsewhere, I guess either in Canada or the US.

Is there any hope at all, though?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can the OP not get married in their home country and apply for spouse visa? Or does the difference in length of stay stated on entry and actual too serious that the application for spouse visa would be affected negatively to the same extent?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.