Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got my Visa in my Passport delivered to me. My Passport is in my old name and I put a note there that I would change that once I moved to UK. However, the Visa is also in my old name. Is that supposed to be that way? I somehow assumed it was going to be in my married name, even though my passport is in the old name. Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
638 Posts
The visa will be in the name on the passport.
Once you change your name and receive a new passport you can have it transferred to the new passport but this is at a cost. Not sure how much, but to be honest, to save money and being without your passport for any about of time you could just travel with the old one to present your visa to authorities.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The visa will be in the name on the passport.
Once you change your name and receive a new passport you can have it transferred to the new passport but this is at a cost. Not sure how much, but to be honest, to save money and being without your passport for any about of time you could just travel with the old one to present your visa to authorities.
That's good to know. Probably would travel with both until my 2.5 yrs is up to apply again.

Thanks for your input too! :)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You don't have to get a new passport in married name straightway, which cancels the old passport and you are forced to carry both every time you leave UK. Better way is to hang on to your existing passport, arrange all your travels in your maiden name (so airline ticket matches your passport), and then shortly before you renew your leave, apply for a new passport in your married name. Then your biometric residence permit (no entry will be made in your passport) will be in your new name matching that of your passport.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't have to get a new passport in married name straightway, which cancels the old passport and you are forced to carry both every time you leave UK. Better way is to hang on to your existing passport, arrange all your travels in your maiden name (so airline ticket matches your passport), and then shortly before you renew your leave, apply for a new passport in your married name. Then your biometric residence permit (no entry will be made in your passport) will be in your new name matching that of your passport.
Perfect advice Joppa. Will definitely do that. Makes more sense anyway. Appreciate yalls help!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
And if in the meantime you want to open a bank account in your married name etc, show your passport and marriage certificate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I had the same issue, my settlement visa was in my maiden name and my bank (HSBC) would not let me open an account with my married name since it didn't match my passport. Regardless of the marriage license!

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Wrong comment... sorry. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.