Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ever need to call an ambulance, how does this work in Spain?
I have a Seg. Soc. number so is there a Spanish equivalent of the UK 999 ambulance service?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I ever need to call an ambulance, how does this work in Spain?
I have a Seg. Soc. number so is there a Spanish equivalent of the UK 999 ambulance service?

Its 112 as far as I know and I believe they speak english

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its 112 as far as I know and I believe they speak english

Jo xxx
Thanks, Jo. Do you know if it is a good, reliable service, as it is usually in the UK?
Where do you get taken?
Hopefully we'll never have to make use of the service but just in case it's best to be prepared.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks, Jo. Do you know if it is a good, reliable service, as it is usually in the UK?
Where do you get taken?
Hopefully we'll never have to make use of the service but just in case it's best to be prepared.
It is as good as most european emergency services. Depending on grade of emergency and individual capacities you will be transported to the nearest public hospital.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is as good as most european emergency services. Depending on grade of emergency and individual capacities you will be transported to the nearest public hospital.
My experience of German emergency services is A1. A friend fell down three steps of the staircase in the hotel we were staying in in Huerth -she insists I always add that the accident took place at breakfast time;) -and the ambulance came within five minutes. We were both carted off to the nearest hospital -she spoke no German - and within an hour she had been X-rayed, had future treatment explained to her via me and was tucked up in bed washed and lipsticked. I was given an excellent cup of freshly brewed coffee whilst she was being seen to.
Incidentally, Seb, referring back to another topic we conversed on: if you can read this week's 'Economist', there's an interesting article on the politics (literally) of dutzen and siezen.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My experience of German emergency services is A1. A friend fell down three steps of the staircase in the hotel we were staying in in Huerth -she insists I always add that the accident took place at breakfast time;) -and the ambulance came within five minutes.
Yes iirc there is a rule or law that demands that every emergency is to be responded to within 5 minutes. So all the emergency and ambulance centres are positioned that way to meet these demands. Reminds me that there *some* good points living in germany - not that the good points would outweigh the negatives :p

Incidentally, Seb, referring back to another topic we conversed on: if you can read this week's 'Economist', there's an interesting article on the politics (literally) of dutzen and siezen.
Now that sounds very interesting - thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look :)

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Yes iirc there is a rule or law that demands that every emergency is to be responded to within 5 minutes. So all the emergency and ambulance centres are positioned that way to meet these demands.

I believe there's something like that here, but it's another one of those great laws that get passed and are not adhered to :(

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I believe there's something like that here, but it's another one of those great laws that get passed and are not adhered to :(
Yes, a relative of mine suffered a mild stroke last year and after being turned away from a private health clinic, went to the local A&E health centre and was told he needed to go to hospital by ambulance - then they realized they didnt actually have one at that moment! So I think he was driven there in the end by a friend. He had social security too.
When I was pregnant I decided to sign up with a private clinic, as it included use of an ambulance in an emergency as I wanted to make sure I could get to the hospital! (which is about 20-30km away). I had social security but I had heard that ambulances were not covered under social security and that people were often landed with a bill of 200 euros for the ambulance alone.
Always good having a back-up one anyway!
Caz.I

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Caz.I;212910 I had social security but I had heard that ambulances were not covered under social security and that people were often landed with a bill of 200 euros for the ambulance alone. Always good having a back-up one anyway! Caz.I[/QUOTE said:
What back-up did you use? I need to clear up the point as to whether or not ambulances are covered by seg.soc.........

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
What back-up did you use? I need to clear up the point as to whether or not ambulances are covered by seg.soc.........

Ok, to make it clear, ambulances are definitely covered by seg. soc.
Caz I was just saying that in the case of her being ppregnant and not in a big town or city she felt safer having the back up of a private health insurance ambulance. The ambulance service usually works fine - it's just the usual thing of that we've all heard horror stories of the day the ambulance took forever to get to wherever it was going. Just look at the story of Princess Diana in Paris!!

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, to make it clear, ambulances are definitely covered by seg. soc.
Caz I was just saying that in the case of her being ppregnant and not in a big town or city she felt safer having the back up of a private health insurance ambulance. The ambulance service usually works fine - it's just the usual thing of that we've all heard horror stories of the day the ambulance took forever to get to wherever it was going. Just look at the story of Princess Diana in Paris!!
OK, all is now clear. Thanks.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.