Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! So my wife is currently on a Tier 2 work visa for a graduate role after living here as a student for her bachelor's and Masters. She would like to switch to the spousal visa but we are having some concerns in regards to the application.

Firstly it asks a lot about length of time we have lived together (or not) and we have never actually lived together in our own place. She stays at mine almost all the time and will be moving in together when her rental lease runs out in January. Will us not living together affect the application result ? We need to give reasons why we haven't lived together. Is that a valid excuse (her rental contract?) I have also been at university in another city.

My second question is does anyone know if having a tier 2 visa already makes for a smoother / quicker/ easier time switching ?

Finally, say my wife gets rejected for a spousal visa, would this have any impact on her current tier 2 visa or would everything remain the same?

Thank you so much in advance !

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 FLR(M) is a one-size-fits-all form, covering a number of situations. Most are renewing their spouse visa after 30 months, so questions about cohabitation are relevant. In your case, just answer honestly, and if necessary, explain briefly under 'other information.'
#2 It shouldn't make any difference. Just remember that if she is on Tier 2 General, after 5 years it leads to settlement, whereas switching to spouse leave will reset the clock and she needs 5 more years. So if she is already on her current visa for 2 or more years, it may make sense to stay put and get settlement more quickly. It does mean of course her choice of employment will be more limited because she needs to be sponsored.
#3 She can just stay on Tier 2.
Are you British or settled in UK?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response.

She has only been on the Tier 2 General for under a year which is why we want to switch asap due to the reset. The employment restrictions is a large issue for us!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.