Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Firewood

There's a supply company beside the highway not far from the Capestrano turnoff that claims to deliver firewood for 10 euro/ 100kg. The locals say the wood is pretty green and must be dried before you can burn it. They figure you need 3000 kg. to last a winter. We've tried our fireplace but you have to leave a window open or it won't burn which kind of defeats the purpose. Maybe a gas incert in the future is the way to go. We did look at some very nice pellet stoves as well as some high efficiency wood stoves but they seem very expensive (2000 euro). For that price we could buy a high efficiency gas furnace in Calgary and ship it to Italy!
Barry
If anyone wants some firewood - I have an entire 20 square meter cellar stacked up to the ceiling with it and would love to get rid of it !

Its old firewood though - and so you'd have to not be scared of getting your hands dirty.

Let me know and I'll work out how to get you access to our cellar (access directly from the lane).

Claire

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
via septembre

i don't like the cold either. we have broken windows and external stairs so its a pity we won't finalize sooner. exchange is shocking at the moment though.

so you already go the bussi way. its heaps easier. ours is on via settembre,
where is yours?
it is all pretty exciting. hope the financial turmoil settles soon.
water power gas at the door, so shouldn't be too bad, needs rewiring and replumbing though.
not planning to go for the deposit but going to the notario sounds interesting. i think the owner is in canada. lynda
We are on via septembre too - we are on two streets - our actual entrance is Via Giovanni. When are you next around in Ofena?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I almost thought that this forum had gone to sleep. I have seen more posts the last few days then in months. It makes me happy to see so much activity :) I trust all the usual suspects are well and in good spirits.
Has anyone been to Ofena and Sulmona in January/February? Trying to judge if there is going to be lots of snow or if it is just cold. I have a TV crew coming out to follow my purchase for House Hunter's International, but if it it snowing don't know how happy it will be......Please tell me it looks beuatiful and the roads are clear :) PS But only if it is true :)
Did they actually make a film then - can we get it on the internet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went in December, it was taters (cold ) me and the ex girlfriend were at watching the TV in Bronx hats and coats, was a real laugh and wouldn't have changed it....well saying that I went out and bought an electric heater the next day, however, it's those times you remember when the house is finished :-D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
You know, I was thinking of starting a Summer class of Italian in Ofena a few years ago, seeing I have a language school in Amsterdam, and therefore perfeclty qualified for the job. And I tried to bring there my own students for language and cooking courses, but every year there were problems with the housing of students. Agreements I made in September were forgotten in october, let stay in July, so I renounced and decided I was just going to enjoy Summers with the kids and no work, for once.

point is, to market such a thing you need hard agreements, and they are not possible down there.

Now the situation is a little changed, so I might want to try again. Any feedback on how to find students is welcome.

barbara
Hi Barbara,

I think that that would be an excellent idea - at least for us ! You could start a casual one without housing people start with.

I was thinking of starting an English school one day- although I'm not sure that there are enough in the area that would want to learn English.

Claire

·
Registered
20 Posts
Meet up in summer

Hi There, this is a long time since i looked at the expat forum - we should do an Ofena party ! When is everyone going to be around - what about a mid-August get together ? I hope all your houses are ok.. we are still not sure if we will be allowed to go into ours after the town check it. But hey - we can still do camping Berlusconi style.

Hi guys,

our house is not accessible at the moment, hope that before summer I will be ablo to do some works. I will be there between 28th May and 6 June to check the situation and finish my book on the area. If I can check anything about your house please let me know.

We will be in Summer between 15 of July and beginning of august, so let me knwo if there is going to be a meet up then.

i am going to report on my next visit to Ofena and surroundings on Abruzzo nel cuore, in case you want to get an idea.

Ciao,
Ba

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Claire,

I haven't checked this thread out in a while. There is more activity on the moving to Ofena one.

I've got some catching up to do !

I replied to your email so I hope you got that. I would love to host a bit of a get together for everyone sometime when life returns to normal there, and we are somewhat habitable !

I notice Barbara will be there when we are, so is Jon. I'm hoping we will see Jon and his family while we are there, I'd love to meet you too Barbara.

My email is [email protected] or Rod's is [email protected]
phone or text +61 414412473 Rod +971 504561870

Who else is going to be in Ofena around the 28th to the 1st ?????????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did they actually make a film then - can we get it on the internet?
In the process of completing it...... They did the part of me looking for property and making my purchase, now they are waiting for my return to tape/film the house after the restoration. It should be done by October and ready to air. I will let you know when it is posted....
Bruce

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Hi guys,

our house is not accessible at the moment, hope that before summer I will be ablo to do some works. I will be there between 28th May and 6 June to check the situation and finish my book on the area. If I can check anything about your house please let me know.

We will be in Summer between 15 of July and beginning of august, so let me knwo if there is going to be a meet up then.

i am going to report on my next visit to Ofena and surroundings on Abruzzo nel cuore, in case you want to get an idea.

Ciao,
Ba
You are writing a book? That is great! Will it be for tourists/things to do etc.? Or more about the history? Anyway, I'd love a copy.

We are always looking for interesting things to do in the area. So far we have been cycling and this time we will try the canooing in the river.

We also wanted to try out the horse riding near Capestrano or on the plateau.. has anyone done that?

Claire

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tao didn't buy anything yet. She has a place in France which she is restoring and said it is enough for her at the moment. We still don't know our damage as they've closed off our entire block and no one is allowed in!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all! If someone is interested in renting a house in Caprestrano (250e/week), I have some new pictures from there. Just send me a note at miajolas at yahoo dot com

Greetings,
- Mia from Finland

201 - 214 of 214 Posts