Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Has anyone been to Ofena and Sulmona in January/February? Trying to judge if there is going to be lots of snow or if it is just cold. I have a TV crew coming out to follow my purchase for House Hunter's International, but if it it snowing don't know how happy it will be......Please tell me it looks beuatiful and the roads are clear :) PS But only if it is true :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Bruce,
So you are in ofena at the moment? you didn't say where your place was is it in Carrufo?
Did you end up bringing the film crew with you? How is the weather there now?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I drove the electrician working on the house across the way nuts as I spoke no Italian and he no English, I really liked his work, beautiful and very professional, I wanted to use him. I have his card.

Bruce would you mind giving me his contact details?

Mia has a good handyman , Judy a good joiner, if I get your electrician, I'll only need a plumber! oh and a glazier if they exist.........

I don't speak Italian either but I will cross that bridge......

·
Registered
400 Posts
Has anyone been to Ofena and Sulmona in January/February? Trying to judge if there is going to be lots of snow or if it is just cold. I have a TV crew coming out to follow my purchase for House Hunter's International, but if it it snowing don't know how happy it will be......Please tell me it looks beuatiful and the roads are clear :) PS But only if it is true :)
Hi Bruce,
So you are in ofena at the moment? you didn't say where your place was is it in Carrufo?
Did you end up bringing the film crew with you? How is the weather there now?[/QUOTE]

Hi Linda
We have been to Ofena in February for the last three years and will hopefully be going again on Thursday, weather permitting here.
We have always found it pretty mild in comparison to English winters.
The only snow we have seen in February has been high up in the mountains, the weather has always been lovely.
A couple that we know have just returned from Ofena and they also stated that the weather was very mild so I don't think that you will have any problems.
Judy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone been to Ofena and Sulmona in January/February? Trying to judge if there is going to be lots of snow or if it is just cold. I have a TV crew coming out to follow my purchase for House Hunter's International, but if it it snowing don't know how happy it will be......Please tell me it looks beuatiful and the roads are clear :) PS But only if it is true :)
We were in Ofena last week and expected it to be really cold. Had images of snow in my mind so packed the thermals and never used them. It was a lot warmer than here and you had to go quite high into the mountains to find the snow. So yes 'It looks beautiful and the roads are clear'!! Have a lovely time.

Beth

·
Registered
630 Posts
Judy
Red brick sounds nice! Ours is done in that white shiny tile. In fact our whole kitchen is done in this white tile which extends half way up the walls. Looks like a hospital room! We have started to do some painting but the price of paint compared to Calgary is a shock (about double) and those plaster walls are like sponges so 5 liters dosen't go very far.
Barry
hi barry you need somthing cald fixativo problely not spelt right but ask for it as it sounds at any paint shop or ferementa and they whill know what you mean it stops the paint soaking in . but what ever you do dont use a plastic emulshion as the walls are solid aND THEY NEED TO breath

·
Registered
227 Posts
hi barry you need somthing cald fixativo problely not spelt right but ask for it as it sounds at any paint shop or ferementa and they whill know what you mean it stops the paint soaking in . but what ever you do dont use a plastic emulshion as the walls are solid aND THEY NEED TO breath
you make a good point.

what about traditional limewashes ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
lime wash

you make a good point.

what about traditional limewashes ?
lime wash no problem most internal wall paint sold in abruzzo are a type of distemper is any one can remember the stuf mix a tablet of coulor in a bucket of water and aply it does not cover staight away only when it dries as any one can tll you who has used italian wall paint . I think the the best way to decorate an abruzzo traditianal hous is to ask a local traidsman what type emulshion he would recomend . by emulshion i mean amix

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'am still leaning towards taking the plaster off and repointing the stone and leaving it exposed.
Maybe put some fancy tile here and there on the walls. we some some beautiful large ones, half a meter square, in Marini's although they were pricey, 75 euro each.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'am still leaning towards taking the plaster off and repointing the stone and leaving it exposed.
Maybe put some fancy tile here and there on the walls. we some some beautiful large ones, half a meter square, in Marini's although they were pricey, 75 euro each.
Giacinta did a nice job with naked stone in her rental house, along the stairs. You should go and see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Abruzzi near Sulmona.

Hi , I live in Secinaro. Small but pretty and the veiw from my shed (casa) very nice.
Doing most of the work myself resulting in scapula break as I passed from one floor to the other without using the stairs. The hospital in Sulmona is lovely . Anyway I digress There is a huge hardware supermarket on the road into Sulmona caled Bricapoint. I have just dipped into the threads so If I have missed anything I apologise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello there, I am an American in Ofena, not to far from Sulmona. I am in town till February the 28. Then I leave for Rome and then home to Sunny Southern alifornia. Since I do not have internet in my rustico yet..... You can Email me at [email protected] if you like..... I bought in july, but it looks like I will need a builder to help me get it done :( My name is Bruce and as of yet only speak English...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Builders, Builders, Builders........??????? I just want to know if anybody has had experience with Jamie, he is an English guy that moved here a couple of years ago.(connected to House Around Italy sort of) I saw his house in Prata di Sedonna???? It looks nice... Just wondering if anybody has used him or can recommend someone as I will be leaving soon....????? I would like more than one bid. Any help? Please Email me direct at [email protected]. as I have only phone internet and no computer. I know that I asked before, but now it looks like I reall y need one.
Grazie,
Bruce

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think someone from the blog is in town, buy I can not remember who? Mia I think that I bought the house above yours, your back garden looks at my not so much of a garden and house the cream one next to old olive oil company..... Feel free to knock on door if you hear me working... That goes for anyone on the blog as well, my address is 13 Via della Vittoria..... Email is [email protected] I do not have internet only phone Email.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Claire, well done on your purchase.
I am sure you will love Abruzzo, its a fairly unknown place but very unspoilt. I think you would get more value for money going out there than Tuscany for example. Do you find that also?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Claire, well done on your purchase.
I am sure you will love Abruzzo, its a fairly unknown place but very unspoilt. I think you would get more value for money going out there than Tuscany for example. Do you find that also?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Builders, Builders, Builders........??????? I just want to know if anybody has had experience with Jamie, he is an English guy that moved here a couple of years ago.(connected to House Around Italy sort of) I saw his house in Prata di Sedonna???? It looks nice... Just wondering if anybody has used him or can recommend someone as I will be leaving soon....????? I would like more than one bid. Any help? Please Email me direct at [email protected]. as I have only phone internet and no computer. I know that I asked before, but now it looks like I reall y need one.
Grazie,
Bruce
Hi Bruce
Yes, we have had some experience with Jamie and Maurizio from HAI but we would certainly not recommend them. Maurizio recommended a builder that they both use but the standard of work was very, very poor. We complained to the Director of HAI and she agreed at the time that the work was poor but nothing came of it. My husband has had to correct a lot of the work that we had paid for and we have got to totally replace a new bathroom window so in future we will do all of the work ourselves.
Judy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Hi,

Sorry didn't reply to your messages TAO and Barry. TAO did you buy something then? Barry, did you get hit by the earthquake? We have some minor damage - just hoping that the village doesn't block access to our house.

We will be there this weekend (22nd May) and in the summer - if you are around lets get in touch! ([email protected]).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Hi There, this is a long time since i looked at the expat forum - we should do an Ofena party ! When is everyone going to be around - what about a mid-August get together ? I hope all your houses are ok.. we are still not sure if we will be allowed to go into ours after the town check it. But hey - we can still do camping Berlusconi style.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts