Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just bought a house in Ofena, Abruzzo and would like to share with you my blog, which is italianhouse at blogspot dot com

Are there others out there having bought or thinking of buying in this area ?

If so please visit my blog ... it would be good to exchange ideas.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Living in Ofena

Hi Claire,

It appears you have just become our neighbors. We have just purchased a house in Carrufo, 3 kilometers above you. Walked down to the Aufinium Bar on the old donkey trail in October to see how long it would take (20 min). We have lots of contacts in Carrufo (english speaking) if you need some people to talk to.

Barry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Barry
It's a great coincidence that you have bought property in Abruzzo, near Ofena and that you also live in Calgary.
I'm looking into buy in Ofena and wish to have some inside pointers from you and Claire as well. However, I do not wish to do any major renovation, just something I could move in right away. How much should we lower the asking price in general? and how long will the whole buying procedure take?
Thanks for the advices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Claire,
I might be your neighbor in Ofena. Saw your blog. Great job! Lots of work though! Any advice for me in buying in your area? Any good renovated townhouse in a historical village you have seen? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does this mean you live in Calgary?
As for prices that is difficult to say. It will probably cost at least 50,000 euro for a place you can live in. This means the roof dosen't leak and you have power, water and sewer. It will be pretty plain inside however and everything will be old and ready for replacement, probably no heat other than a fireplace . It took us 8 months to complete the purchase but we actually bought 2 seperate properties, kind of like a duplex, and the second seller didn't have all their paperwork together. 2 months should be enough time provided you are prepared, bank account in Italy and a codice fiscale.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm from Calgary.
You must like the area very much to buy two places!
What do you think about the village or town called Navelli. Is it close to Carufo or Ofena? I have a couple of bigger townhouses to think about there. More money but in very decent shape. Somehow I stumble into one or two places in /or near Ofena that seem to be more interesting but smaller.
As I already bought a farm in south of France, and have an account there. Do I still have to open another account in Italy? About the buying procedure it seems about the same as in France (two to three months)
Any other advices will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Navelli is in the valley floor right on the highway ss17. we've been through it several times and it is a typical village of the region. It is not in the National park however so dosen't enjoy the historical protection the villages within the Gran Sasso do. If you have a place in France why buy in Italy? What size house are you looking for? There is a palace for sale in Ofena for 230,000 euro if you want something big! You have to have a codice fiscale to buy in Italy. This is like a social security number and is used for all transactions (paying property taxes etc.) When you open a bank account in Italy they can give you one right away whereas our local Italian vice consul said it would take 2 years working through him! I don't know if Italian banks or property owners would accept a check drawn on a french bank and in addition with an Italian Bank you can arrange for them to recieve and pay utility bills. There are dozens of villages in this little area all in the National Park. Ofena, Carrufo, Villa Santa Lucia, Castel Del Monte, Calascio, Santo Stefano or across the valley Capestrano with hundreds of places for sale. Most of Italian Real Estate is not advertised. There will be a sign and phone number on the building or one of the locals will tell you "that house is for sale". If you are interested I can give the name and phone number of a 3rd. cousin in Carrufo who is acting as a scout for the real estate firm Housearounditaly based in Pescara. He speaks english and would know what is for sale and wether it is a good deal or not. Although not to many houses have sold in the last year the asking prices seem to have gone up 40%. There are now English, Scotsman, Danes and Canadians in our village and several Dutchman are seriously looking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cheers!! my family , well my grandparents are from carrufo and still have their houses there that they grew up in, and are planning on travelling there late april, with my cousin and her boyfriend who will be touring italy apparently haha anyways pending some decisions out of my control, i may be (hopefully) joining them..from what i heard there were only like 10 people in carrufo all over 60 years old, not that i dont enjoy the company and wisdom of my elders, i was just wondering after reading these posts, if there were any younger people in the area (i am 20)and what kind of things there were to do, like for instance could i find a horse to ride? or the weather would it be similar to a canadian april? what do people do haha my nonno is a sheep farmer so hahaha all the photos i see of carrufo look beautiful and peaceful and i also hear there are alot of cool caves but anyways any info would be much appreciated !! peace : )

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi all
i,ll be in abruzzo mar 10 for three weeks hoping to find somewhere to buy
for holiday home semi retirement been in building trade years have great practical skills but the beaurocracy of buying ahouse to renovate seems daunting all the websites seem to tell me to definately use a lawyer and geometra but some say not neccessary by all accounts honest ones are like proverbial hens teeth non existent can any one help i,ll be hiring a car and looking all over abruzzo glad to have the company of any one on a similar quest

·
Registered
398 Posts
Buying a House

The actual purchase process is quite painless and straight forward. All you really need is a notary and a geometra if you want it surveyed first.
The problem with buying houses in Italy and especially in Abruzzo is finding out who owns them and who has a right to sell them. In the late 1800's and the early 1900's most of the young people left for America and Canada. They started families and most never returned so when the owners of the houses in Italy died the titles belonged to the sons and daughters and their children living in Canada , Argentina, and America who never changed the names on the title documents in Italy. What you end up with is a title still in the name of someone who had died a 100 years ago or the title will have 10 or 15 owners all living in some other country.
Getting it all straight is the notaries job, and a good one will ensure everything is done according to law, but it can be a long process tracking people down and getting their consent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The actual purchase process is quite painless and straight forward. All you really need is a notary and a geometra if you want it surveyed first.
The problem with buying houses in Italy and especially in Abruzzo is finding out who owns them and who has a right to sell them. In the late 1800's and the early 1900's most of the young people left for America and Canada. They started families and most never returned so when the owners of the houses in Italy died the titles belonged to the sons and daughters and their children living in Canada , Argentina, and America who never changed the names on the title documents in Italy. What you end up with is a title still in the name of someone who had died a 100 years ago or the title will have 10 or 15 owners all living in some other country.
Getting it all straight is the notaries job, and a good one will ensure everything is done according to law, but it can be a long process tracking people down and getting their consent.
thanks barry thats useful to know i,m just packing now heading over to abruzzo tomorrow kind regards .....eddie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Barry and all,
Sorry. Too busy to get to the email. Thanks for the info. Funny you mentioned Housearounditaly. It is with them that I found a few interesting places. I would like to have your 3rd cousin's name and phone number. That might be helpful for my property search there. Just something small but with character. My place in France is far from the beach so something 30mn to the beach will be great. I'm going to Abruzzo in April and will visit the places you mentioned. Any other advices will be great! Ciao.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Barry

Hi Barry
I see by your email address that your last name is Ciccone and your family is from Carrufo. My son is getting married in Carrufo in July and while talking to my soon to be daughter in law Alesia she said she has a cousin who just bought a house in Carrufo. Would that be you? Her father's name is Dante Ciccone. Apparently her brother is in the process of buying Grandma's house there also. Looking forward to visiting the area.
Barry (also)

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's me! We actually met Dante for the first time in October (living in Calgary I never met most of my relatives) The whole village (all 27 of them) are looking forward to the wedding as it is the first one in 30 years. Send me your email address and I will innundate you with pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Again Barry
Wow, what a quick response. Janet and I are very excited about visiting Italy
and specifically Carrufo. Looking forward to receiving any photos you can send. I am so glad I found this site. Also just for your information Alessia and Clayton just got the keys to their new (to them) house in Oshawa ON yesterday.
Regards
Barry

barjanin at eagle dot ca

1 - 20 of 214 Posts