Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just arrived in Campbelltown from Scotland. My girlfriend got a job here (at the University of Western Sydney), which drew us over here. I do not have a job yet and would appreciate any tips on how to get your 'foot in the door.' I was a construction supervisor for the past 5 years and have worked in the construction trade for over 15 years. I am open to the idea of trying something new! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Most employers typically use recruitment agents to help them fill vacancies, though a lot of employers will also advertise these same positions on their website. I can't comment on how the construction market is where you are but the best thing to do would be to register with a few recruitment agents and take it from there. You'll find that some agents have your best interest at heart and understand fully what you want and will actively seek to place you in a suitable position, whilst others will have some to limited idea as to what you want in a job. After a couple of weeks, you should be able to separate out the good agents from the ones that simply collect CVs and you can then follow up with these agents and ditch the rest.

If you are applying for jobs on your own as well as using an agent, do keep track of the jobs that you have applied for as you do not want a few agents to then send on your CV for the same position, as employers do form the impression that you are after any job if they receive your CV from multiple sources.

Try and get feedback after interviews as sometimes the most insignificant thing lets you down and it helps if you know about it and can address it before the next job interview.

I used Hays and I found them really helpful. I got lucky in that the agent that was looking after me understood what I do and what I wanted out of a new job and got me a couple of interviews within a few weeks of registering with him.

It does take a few weeks to land a new role but if you're patient, I'm sure that you'll be employed in no time. On average, it takes about 3 months for a new migrant to find their first job but I know plenty of people who have got a job within 2 weeks of arriving.

Also, keep an eye on Seek as that is where most agents and employers advertise available positions and that's how most people catch the eye of an agent, who then follows up and hopefully helps with that first job.

Best of luck with your job search.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Agents collect their fees from the employer, so you won't have to pay anything.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why they don't have your best interests at heart. It might of course be different in construction but my experience is agents are universally a waste of your time.

Obviously apply for advertised jobs too, but honestly the best way of finding a job is to network as best you can. By doing this you are tapping into the job market that isn't advertised and so cutting down the competition.

Research some companies you like, contact a relevant manager (try to bypass HR) send them a cv and maybe a short email or tel call explaining how you think you might be able to help them and do they have 10 minutes at some point for you to buy them a coffee or something and have a brief informal chat. A lot of the time they'll say yes. Meet employers, build your network and you'll find work. Leave all the masses scouring seek and vacancy websites! Employers like initiative and genuine interest in their business plus the option to not have to go through recruitment processes. It is honestly the best way to find work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts