Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, im hoping someone here can help me with a couple questions.

I am hoping to start a new life somewhere for me and my son and i am just trying to get as much info as i can about possible places.

Sorry if none of this makes much sense.

I wont go into too much detail but my mum is almost 100% sure i have British citizenship as i have a British passport (she hasnt found my passport yet to confirm). i lived in the UK for 4 and a half years as a child. My mum then moved us back to NZ (where i was born) nearly 5 years ago. My passport is not current anymore so would have to renew it. My mum is a born British citizen. Anyway what im wondering is with all that info in mind am i a British citizen? am i entitled to the same things in the UK as someone who was born there is and if i am is my son (5months old) also entitled to the same?

The reason i ask is im am wondering whether it would be better for me to finish my studies in NZ with a student loan (which could take a couple years) OR start organising things now and finish up with my studies in the UK possibly with a student loan there (if they have something similar)??

Hope someone can shed some light on my questions. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to ask if anyone knew the cost of living for the UK? Sorry to be so broad but because i havent yet figured out where i would like to live i havent figured out a specific place in the UK. So if anyone knows the overall cost of living for the UK i would be so grateful. Thanks

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I also wanted to ask if anyone knew the cost of living for the UK? Sorry to be so broad but because i havent yet figured out where i would like to live i havent figured out a specific place in the UK. So if anyone knows the overall cost of living for the UK i would be so grateful. Thanks
Thats a difficult one to answer cos it varies so much depending what you want, what your standards are, how you want to live... In my opinion the cost of living is high there! Not so much the weekly shopping and bills (go onto to Tescos, one of the main supermarkets, shopping page for an idea of food costs), but the extras, petrol is taxed heavily, car tax can be high, council tax is high, public transport..... but how do you define high???? I dont know how it compares to NZ!!????? You need someone who can make the comparison

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Jo. I used to shop from tescos and remember a can of beans costing about 7p. I guess i was just wondering if prices have sky rocketed since then for just the basic/essential things. and if it varied in different areas.

Sorry ETA: i would probably be living a basic/cheap life. As i dont have much money. And have always had to live of the smell of an oily rag so my mother says so only know how to live cheaply. IYKWIM.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Thanks Jo. I used to shop from tescos and remember a can of beans costing about 7p. I guess i was just wondering if prices have sky rocketed since then for just the basic/essential things. and if it varied in different areas.

Sorry ETA: i would probably be living a basic/cheap life. As i dont have much money. And have always had to live of the smell of an oily rag so my mother says so only know how to live cheaply. IYKWIM.

I think Baked beans are around 47p now lol, altho I'm in Spain so I havent kept up with UK prices!!! Like I say, its easy to "live" cheaply in the UK, its the extras that bring the costs up, like council tax which isnt cheap, altho it depends what area, property size you have, running a car is dear, public transport is dear and if you smoke or drink AAAGGGHH, you'd need to be rich!!!!!! .... its very much swings and roundabouts.

Its slightly cheaper here in Spain, cos altho food and bills are only slightly less than the UK, the council tax, runing a car are cheaper, eating out is cheaper

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have or had a British Passport then you should be able to live in the Uk you need to speak to somene at the British High Commision in Wellington,they can give you proper advice. As for completing your studies in NZ I would suggest that you would be wise to do so if only because when you move you can pay off your student loan which will be NZ dollars in Uk pounds the rate at the moment not flash but its still about 2.4 it has been as high as 2.75

The cost of living, to be honest I think that the cost of living here is much higher in proportion to income than the UK salaries here are low and prices especially for whiteware, second hand cars, furniture, food etc are crazy. I earn well above what is suggested to be the national average of $50k and still think its pricey.

So basically if you get a decent job in the UK you should realistically not see much of a difference in living expenses. Insurance of any description is probably the exception boy racers are rare as they usually can not afford the insurance on anything above a car with an engine the size of a sewing machine.

The cost of alcohol in the uk is on a par with NZ I can not comment on smoking I do not but I know its costly.

I would think carefully about where you want to live especially as you have a child. London is exciting and busy but a nightmare if you have children unless you can afford to live in the expensive parts otherwise steer clear .

I wish you well I can not wait to get back home to the UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.