Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My Partner holds NZ work visa. I applied for visit visa to join my husband. But it got declined stating that enough docs are not submitted to prove our relationship.

I submitted our marriage certificate. But that wasn't enough it seems. What are all the docs i can attach to prove our relationship?

Thanks,
Thamarai

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
You need to provide evidence of your relationship over at least 12 months so a marriage certificate from 1 day of your relationship isn't enough and neither are proof you have children etc as it doesn't mean you are in a loving stable relationship. You need photo's, maybe tickets to movies/theatre's or other events you've been to together. You need evidence you are both living under the same roof and have been for at least 12 months so joint bills, mortgage payments or rent payments, any contracts you are in together for finance etc. You can use bills addressed to individual people but they must go to the same address where you both live together.
Google proving relationship immigration NZ to find some guidance.

Also, a visit visa isn't good enough for you to join your husband. It only allows you to visit NZ for a short period....maybe max 9 months in any 18 month period. You'd be better looking at partnership work visas that would expire at the same time as your partners and the bonus being you could also work if you wanted to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You!!!

The problem is we got married recently(on June 4th,2017). It was a culturally arranged marriage. He came to India to marry me and he had to leave back to New Zealand within 10 days of our marriage due to his work commitments.

Since we hadn't established a life together, can i still go for partnership work visa?

As of now I have our wedding photos,reception photos,honeymoon photos,wedding invitation and a joint account of ours.

A friend of mine said the letters from friends and family can also work. Is it so?

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Thank You!!!

The problem is we got married recently(on June 4th,2017). It was a culturally arranged marriage. He came to India to marry me and he had to leave back to New Zealand within 10 days of our marriage due to his work commitments.

Since we hadn't established a life together, can i still go for partnership work visa?

As of now I have our wedding photos,reception photos,honeymoon photos,wedding invitation and a joint account of ours.

A friend of mine said the letters from friends and family can also work. Is it so?
Unlikely as you don't have the minimum evidence period of 12 months. You cannot bend the rules. The guideline threshold is all persons applying for any visa based on partnership or where a partner is included must prove the relationship is genuine and stable and has been for at least 12 months. Won't make any difference if you provide letters from friends and/or family as you still haven't been together for minimum 12 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You!!

In that case, is there any way to join my husband?

Can I apply for partnership visitor visa? I read it somewhere, that they will give visitor visa for 9 months if I'm unable to prove my relationship for the last 12 month period.

So is it possible to apply for partnership visitor visa and get visit visa for 9 month period
with my current available documents?

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Thank You!!

In that case, is there any way to join my husband?

Can I apply for partnership visitor visa? I read it somewhere, that they will give visitor visa for 9 months if I'm unable to prove my relationship for the last 12 month period.

So is it possible to apply for partnership visitor visa and get visit visa for 9 month period
with my current available documents?
Because of your current situation you are unlikely to be granted any visa under partnership.......simply because you do not meet the requirements of a partnership in the eyes of INZ.
To travel to NZ your only option is to qualify for your own individual visa that is NOT based on your husband, so for instance an NZ Visitor Visa (not based on partnership) and apply for the maximum time or apply to extend for as long as possible.
You must however meet the requirements of that visa and you cannot rely on your husband. You cannot claim partnership and he cannot support or sponsor you as he isn't eligible to on a temporary work visa anyways.
This may allow you to come to NZ to visit for up to 9 months but you must prove sufficient funds and a return ticket etc. Nothing wrong with declaring you are travelling to be with your husband and if Immigration ask you can easily tell them why you are not applying through partnership.

It is worth checking if there are any specific rules for people in culturally arranged marriages as the normal rules just may not apply to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts